Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Anybody run Windows 8 yet?

X230 and later series specific matters only
whfrat

Anybody run Windows 8 yet?

#1 Post by whfrat » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:44 pm

Ya know I really thought I'd get to run with the popular crowd for a change with my new X230 and here I am relegated to Non-Classic hardware, Oh well.

Anyway, ;-) has anyone installed windows 8 on their X230? if so what do you think?

Thanks in advance.

happy TG to all!

barrywohl

Re: Anybody run Windows 8 yet?

#2 Post by barrywohl » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:59 pm

I got my X230T with an i7 processor in early August and put Windows 8 Pro Release Preview on it.
On October 26th, I put Windows 8 Pro x64 RTM on, with a clean install.

I LOVE IT.

Everything works now except for the Sierra Wireless broadband card, and I've got a lead on getting that going.

The touch screen is a good fit. I spend about 75% of my time in traditional Windows desktop and about 25% of my time in Windows 8 style (formerly known as Metro style) apps.
First Thinkpad 755CX in 1995. First IBM: PC 1982 8088 w 64K RAM, dual floppy. Currently in use:
X230T with Win8Pro x64, i7, 500gb ssd; W700 WUXGA RAID 1 Blu-Ray W7Pro x64, occasionally a T61p with Win7Pro x64

blackomegax

#3 Post by blackomegax » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Ive got it on my X230.

Awkward without a touch screen, but it is *blazing* fast.

Not that windows 7 isn't fast on the same hardware, but windows 8 feels faster.

haryo

#4 Post by haryo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:51 pm

Day two with my new x230 with a factory install of Windows 8. The OS was half a mistake in ordering, but I thought I live with it after I realized what I'd ordered. The first hour was anxiety creating, but every so often I figured something out about Windows 8 and thought, 'hey, that's kinda cool'. I put Classic Shell on it, without which I'm not sure I could adjust. At the moment I'm seeing it as a laptop that can also run tablet apps, and I'm trying to be positive. The bios setup is more complicated than I'm used to, and I'm not yet confident that I can do a reinstall if need be by booting from an external DVD since it's not as foolproof (simple)as it used to be. I don't yet understand the bios setting yet, and all that they do. I made a recovery USB flash drive but the laptop is yet to see it on booting, regardless of what I've tried so far.

My present question is what I can use to create an image of the had drive (and its three partitions) in case I need to install a new drive. I've only cloned single partition drives before.

Longreach

#5 Post by Longreach » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:58 pm

Installed win 8 on my t500. No problems at all, except for some win8 compatibility issues with certain software.