Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Installing classic keyboard into X230 with EC firmware mod

X230-X280, X390 Series
skx
Sophomore Member

Re: Installing classic keyboard into X230 with EC firmware mod

#361 Post by skx » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:07 pm

matrushko wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:36 pm
skx wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:55 am

Here you have your issue. Did you read the github instructions? You should downgrade your bios first to 2.76 (G2ETB6WW). 2.77 cannot have its EC modified! It is clearly mentioned in the 1st paragraph of the github instructions. So downgrade BIOS and try again.
Yes, i did.
Sorry I forgot to mention that I DOWNGRADED to 2.76, when I said "2. I solved it with linux,....".

Of course, now i'm with 2.76 but it was precisely when I did it, to solve battery issue, than the keyboard issue appeared.

And now I have tried and tried but nothing achieved on my side.

thanks

thinkpad-ec script has keyboard patch enabled by default and battery patch disabled. so if you only need battery validation patch, you need to disable the keyboard patch and enable the keyboard patch. try again and flash your ec. you just did something in wrong.
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

RoamingAndy

#362 Post by RoamingAndy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:28 am

I just lost keys c, d, e, 3. The mod worked great for 6 months. Anyone have any idea what would cause that?

The other keys are working great

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#363 Post by axur-delmeria » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:41 am

RoamingAndy wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:28 am
I just lost keys c, d, e, 3. The mod worked great for 6 months. Anyone have any idea what would cause that?
A keyboard that's starting to go bad.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

matrushko

#364 Post by matrushko » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:15 pm

skx wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:07 pm

thinkpad-ec script has keyboard patch enabled by default and battery patch disabled. so if you only need battery validation patch, you need to disable the keyboard patch and enable the keyboard patch. try again and flash your ec. you just did something in wrong.
I don't understand that. .. maybe you mistake one "keyboard" by "battery"? or I shall do that , first enable keyboard patch then disable it?

Look:
First time i just put make patch_enable_battery clean among the commands.

But second time I had to do it, I think i went to the github web and copied and pasted "make keyboard patch" or something.

If I just "disable" that, it doesn't work. Or at least, it didn't , last time I did it.

¿Can I boot a Pendrive with just THAT keyboard command, and reboot windows with that pendrive?

I am a bit lost.

I need step by step instructions, from now on, I mean, from my actual state:

bios 2.76, battery Ok, keyboard not.

for instance: "go to linux, copy this... then that.... then flash the pendrive...then reboot... " etc.

I'm not a linux programmer, 100 light years from being it.

thanks. !"

skx
Sophomore Member

#365 Post by skx » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:29 pm

matrushko wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:15 pm
skx wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:07 pm

I don't understand that. .. maybe you mistake one "keyboard" by "battery"? or I shall do that , first enable keyboard patch then disable it?
yes, I am sorry, that is a typo obviously. first disable keyboard patch and secondly enable battery patch

can you re-try the whole process and post command line output over here including your instructions?
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

matrushko

#366 Post by matrushko » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:41 am

[/quote]

yes, I am sorry, that is a typo obviously. first disable keyboard patch and secondly enable battery patch

can you re-try the whole process and post command line output over here including your instructions?
[/quote]

Ok!

I will do it, this way (First, I write here my instructions, and after that, I put the former error or "no such file or directory" message that appears if you write it for the first time (keyboard or battery patch), and then, the same mesage but without "no such file or directory" . The point is that no matter it, the battery issue is solved, so I guess that error message doesn't affect keyboard patch either.

I put this and then in other post, I will report the whole linux output.

sudo apt-get install build-essential git mtools libssl-dev

git clone https://github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec

cd thinkpad-ec

make patch_enable_battery clean

make patch_enable_keyboard clean

make patched.x230.img

connect a usb

lsblk

sudo dd if=patched.x230.img of=/dev/sdc

AND THE ERROR OR MESSAGE IS:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/thinkpad-ec$ make patch_enable_battery clean
Makefile:133: .config: No such file or directory
Generated dependancies from descriptions
cp defconfig .config
echo "CONFIG_BATTERY = y" >>.config
rm -f .d/generated.deps \
patched.*.iso patched.*.img *.FL2 *.FL2.orig *.img.enc \
*.img.enc.orig *.img.orig *.bat *.report \
*.img \
*.txt.orig
rm -rf *.iso.extract *.iso.orig.extract
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/thinkpad-ec$

SAME about keyboard.

But if i write it again, firs line doesn't show again "no such file..."

I am going now to work with it.

Thanks !

matrushko

#367 Post by matrushko » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:46 am

Hi,

I recorded badly the whole process in video.

Hope it works for you,

https://youtu.be/QUKmTgEXzfI

The following shows the process of putting on battery again, and EC flashing message

https://youtu.be/98Lk0E5vnso

skx
Sophomore Member

#368 Post by skx » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:53 am

matrushko wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:41 am
make patch_enable_keyboard clean
make patched.x230.img

I understood you only want the battery patch, so you disable the keyboard patch.
make patch_enable_battery clean # Uses the battery validate patch
make patch_disable_battery clean # Turns off the battery validate patch
make patch_enable_keyboard clean # Uses the keyboard patches
make patch_disable_keyboard clean # Turns off the keyboard patches
so in your case, using stock X230 keyboard but aiming to remove the battery validation check you should do:
make patch_disable_keyboard clean

build the modified firmware and flash it with an OEM x230 battery inside your X230.

matrushko

#369 Post by matrushko » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:41 am

[/quote]

build the modified firmware and flash it with an OEM x230 battery inside your X230.
[/quote]

Ok thanks..let's see:

i did just this (several times):
...enable battery...
...disable keyboard...

but nothing happens. the point is:

I don't have an OEM battery, just this: "ROHS" : li-ion battery pack model x220 (AAAH, is from the 220 anyway, not origina), 5200mah/58wh.

I flashed the usb with those linux orders , reboot without the battery inside, (just cable) etc, and after reboot, i put off and on again the pc, and, already with the non-OEM battery, erverything's fine about "she" but not about "him" (keyboard) (in ispanish they have gender)

Do you think that the problem of the keyboard comes out from a NON OEM?

Tell me , cause if it is so, i won't buy such an expensive one. I can't risk to buy it in amazon an then get it back...

what a pitty .

Thanks.

seasonshu
Freshman Member

#370 Post by seasonshu » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:16 am

RoamingAndy wrote:

The other keys are working great
I had the same problem after I installed the taping on the connector, I lost keys in two rows, in a similar fashion. Try to apply (reasonable) force to the metal outside of the connector using a plier. It worked for me on the second attempt or so.

roachie54

#371 Post by roachie54 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:20 pm

Could anyone tell me please if the trackpad & fingerprint reader from an X230 fit into an X220 palmrest? I'm fairly confident the trackpad would but I've read conflicting reports about the fingerprint reader. I realise I could buy an X220 palmrest with both already fitted but there's a price/availability difference. Would also rather avoid cutting either the classic keyboard or the X230 palmrest.

Also, does the X220 keyboard bezel fit the X230 neatly? I've tried my T420 keyboard in the X230 so can see that swapping the bezel isn't necessary, but it'd make the end result a bit sweeter. Cheers

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#372 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:05 am

xx10 and xx20 keyboards all have the same dimensions and are interchangeable.
And the X220 KB-bezel perfectly fits on the X230.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

Yao2000
Freshman Member

#373 Post by Yao2000 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:13 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:05 am
xx10 and xx20 keyboards all have the same dimensions and are interchangeable.
And the X220 KB-bezel perfectly fits on the X230.
yes 100% correct. x220 palmrest fits perfectly on the x230 and looks so much better and allows the classic keyboard to fit perfectly, no cutting or modding necessary

tpgh

#374 Post by tpgh » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:43 pm

i have an x230, trying to install a keyboard from a t520.
this is a t520 keyboard that i took right out of a working t520. if i put the keyboard back in the t520 the keys and buttons all work fine

i haven't flashed the EC firmware yet, but was hoping to get a few questions answered

1. is it normal for the power button on the classic keyboard to not work before the EC flash?
2. is it normal for other keys to maybe not work? for example, the DOWN ARROW key doesn't work when i plugin it into my x230, but works fine when connected to my t520
3. is there any validity to needing to mask off some of the pins, as mentioned in the OP? i don't see any mention of that in hamish's readme - https://github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec

thanks!

atagunov

#375 Post by atagunov » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:23 pm

tpgh wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:43 pm
3. is there any validity to needing to mask off some of the pins
I believe there is a universal consensus that yes the pins need to be isolated. I've been advised to use Kapton tape. I've also been given this URL at some point which I'm carefully saving until I get around to use it: https://imgur.com/a/fsRe6 this btw seems to be one of the most commonly referred descriptions of the process of modding. I guess it's overall easier if you also fit an X220 palmrest - apparently then you don't need to file off plastic tabs from the keyboard.
tpgh wrote:
2. is it normal for other keys to maybe not work? for example, the DOWN ARROW key doesn't work when i plugin it into my x230, but works fine when connected to my t520
I wouldn't be surprised
tpgh wrote:
1. is it normal for the power button on the classic keyboard to not work before the EC flash?
Sorry no idea. That would have alarmed me too.
X220, 2 *T520

m11k
Freshman Member

#376 Post by m11k » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:36 pm

I've done this mod on an X230, T430 and W530. It isn't too hard in the grand scheme of things, and the X230 was the easiest. I highly recommend getting an X220 palm rest. You will save yourself some frustration with needing to cut off some of the tabs on the bottom of the keyboard. However you will still need to cut off two bits of plastic underneath the key cluster containing the power button and volume controls. This allows the keyboard to slide in place under the front bezel. If you don't do this, the front bezel will bow up and the lid may not close properly. There's plenty of guides on this forum and elsewhere indicating how to do this. If you can't find one I can dig up a link.

[/quote]
tpgh wrote:
No, this is not normal. The power button has always worked prior to flashing the EC mod. The only possible cause I can think of (other than a bad keyboard or poorly seated connector, is if you have done the step where you tape over three of the pins. If so, make sure you got the right pins, and didn't accidentally cover up any others. Also, if you've moved around the tape on these pins trying to get it in the right spot, it's possible some residue may have been left behind on some other pins, so it can't hurt to clean them off with some isopropyl alcohol.
tpgh wrote:
I don't recall whether the down arrow worked before the EC mod. I thought it did, but don't remember. There's a list of what should work and what shouldn't prior to the EC mod here, but I don't see an entry for the arrow keys: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_C ... _ThinkPads.
tpgh wrote:
3. is there any validity to needing to mask off some of the pins, as mentioned in the OP? i don't see any mention of that in hamish's readme
Yes, you really should do this. It's a little tricky and you'll probably need some kind of spudger or other thin tool to help get the cable back in the right spot. The consensus seems to be that if you don't, it will burn out a keyboard backlight fuse on the motherboard, meaning that if you re-install an X230 backlit keyboard, the backlight function won't work any more. If you've already installed the keyboard and didn't tape over the pins, it may be too late and the fuse on the motherboard may have blown already. This shouldn't affect the operation of a classic keyboard though.
Daily Driver: W530
Regular Rotation: T601F (Intel), T601F (NVidia), Corebooted X230 & T430, X1C 5th gen
Spares: T450, T460s
For fun: 600X w/ 850MHz CPU, 390E

tpgh

#377 Post by tpgh » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:55 pm

thank you both, that clears up a lot

i already did the x220 palmrest swap because my old one was cracked anyway

OtisGotIt

#378 Post by OtisGotIt » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:23 am

matrushko wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:46 am
Hi,

I recorded the whole process in video.

Hope this software will work for you,

https://www.worktime.com/employee-monitoring

The following shows the process of putting on battery again, and EC flashing message

https://youtu.be/98Lk0E5vnso
Thank You!
That`s exactly what I`ve looked for

leecher

#379 Post by leecher » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:41 am

Tasurinchi wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:19 am
Did somebody attempt to flash an L530?

If not, will be difficult to get the same BIOS mod for this model?
I flashed one last week with battery- and keyboard patch, if you are still interested.

independent

#380 Post by independent » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:49 am

axur-delmeria wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:41 am
RoamingAndy wrote:
A keyboard that's starting to go bad.
I realise the messages are from awhile ago but this is for future thinkpad modders. Heads up. That keyboard mod where you tape pins 2 3 4 of the 7 row keyboard is not a great solution for this keyboard mod.

The contacting surfaces are thickness sensitive, is that a proper term? They are double sided interfaces. Anyway, using clear nail polish to stop any conductivity is a much more reliable solution. The problem is the tape raises the contact surfaces too far and those surfaces are sensitive. Trust me, don't use tape. Find something else.
GNU/Linux user--An Arch'er

heilong

#381 Post by heilong » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:35 am

independent wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:49 am
The contacting surfaces are thickness sensitive, is that a proper term? They are double sided interfaces. Anyway, using clear nail polish to stop any conductivity is a much more reliable solution. The problem is the tape raises the contact surfaces too far and those surfaces are sensitive. Trust me, don't use tape. Find something else.
I heard this mentioned before, and it makes sense that a thick tape could prevent (proper) contact of the other pads.
I've done the mod on 4 keyboards, using Kapton (polyimide) tape. Not the original one, but really cheap one from China, bought via eBay for various projects.
I have it in various widths, depending on the application. For the keyboard mod, I just picked a narrow one with a width that is just right to covers 3 pins.
According to the seller, the tape is 0.055 mm thick - ~3 times thinner than 3M Super 33+ (a common good quality vinyl electrical tape), which is 0.18 mm thick.
No keyboard issues on any of the 4 ThinkPads that I've done this mod to, using this tape.

If one doesn't have such tape in stock, nail polish can be an easy solution. Can even use colorful one to add some hidden style to your keyboard!
X220 i7-2640M 16GB RAM, X230 i7-3520M 16GB RAM, 2x X230t i5-3320M 16GB RAM, W530 i7-3940XM 32GB RAM K2000M
All X230(t), W530: Classic Keyboard Mod
X230, W530: Intel AX210 Wi-Fi 6E / BT 5.2
eGPU: ASUS Phoenix GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, Dell DA-2 220W PSU, EXP GDC Beast (ExpressCard)

willhslade

#382 Post by willhslade » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:06 pm

Hi,

I have a T430s and a battery that's probably Chinese / fake. I would like to use it.

I'm trying to get this working (I don't need the keyboard, but I do want to disable the battery check). When I apply it, it says something like default Lenovo bios applied.

I did these steps, maybe the order was wrong?
make patch_disable_battery clean
make patch_disable_keyboard clean

make patched.t430s.img

Thanks,
Will