Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X230 Strong noise when moving Laptop not horizontal

X230-X280, X390 Series
ReconquerMyPc

X230 Strong noise when moving Laptop not horizontal

#1 Post by ReconquerMyPc » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:40 pm

Hello people : )

I recently bought a used X230 and am quite happy with it (and with returning back to Windows oh yeah 8) ). The only thing that raised my awareness is that, if i move the laptop while running and hold it skew I sometimes hear a relatively loud noise from the fan/cooling are at the left side.

At the shop they told me it would be normal since the fan is not totaly fix but can move a little. But since i did not find any connected topics to this i decided to ask you whether it is normal for the fan to make sounds when the laptop is not hold horizontal. It does not occur always, my impression is only after longer use when the fan starts to run faster to increase cooling.

I would very much appreciate an answer :wink:

shawross

Re: X230 Strong noise when moving Laptop not horizontal

#2 Post by shawross » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:46 am

Sounds like you're getting a gyro - effect there causing the fan to contact its frame. I don't think it's normal but I don't have a X230 and yours may have some slight bearing wear. I wouldn't tilt the laptop whilst it's running if you can help it.
Active --- Love the X series
X301 W 7/Mint | X201 540M L Mint | X220 2520 W7/Mint

Nostalgia
X61 T7500 / T41 T42 T43 / A31

Rogue daily driver - Samsung RV511 15.6 " Screen - W 7

ReconquerMyPc

#3 Post by ReconquerMyPc » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:34 pm

Heyho,

sorry for the late answer, had a lot to do and it's not the most urgent matte ( I hope) :wink:

Thank you for your answer.

I made a short video of the fan noise, although i have to say it's probaly 2-3 times as loud on the video as in reality.

https://youtu.be/aXV4xGaIoFg

I don't know if this is normal wear by usage, or if i should ask for warranty replacement of the fan or the bearing since i have a one year hardware waranty on this used laptop i bought.

Any thoughts?

Greetings

TankPad
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by TankPad » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:37 pm

That's definitely not normal. I would imagine either the fan axel/bearing has failed or maybe the copper housing had been squished a bit during some previous service. The fans in these are very compact and any pressure applied to the top when the keyboard is out will cause that sort of noise.

Try removing the keyboard (only 2 screws) and have a look at the fan. Hopefully you'll get away with just bending upwards the copper housing a little bit.
| 701c | X220 | T420 | X230 | T430s | W540

ReconquerMyPc

#5 Post by ReconquerMyPc » Fri May 12, 2017 6:40 pm

Thank you for your answers.

I went back to the store and after some arguing about the fact that i already mentioned the noise one week after i bought the laptop they replaced it with another ( i guess used) fan in a few hours free of charge. The noise is gone and i am happy = )

Next time i will not wait a few month when i am uncertain about such an issue : /