Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Keyboard backlight control - potential solution

X230-X280, X390 Series
brainwash

Keyboard backlight control - potential solution

#1 Post by brainwash » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:22 pm

I've created a thread on reddit but probably the audience here is more appropriate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comme ... ne_up_for/

It basically emulates how a normal kb backlight behaves (i.e. Mac), shutting it down on some configurable idle time and waking it up on key press/mouse move.
Could possibly work with other models as well, but only tested with X230.
My reverse engineering skills are pretty limited so I had to piggyback on the existing Lenovo app (Win10), since I couldn't figure out how it actually controls the backlight.

AHK script: https://pastebin.com/XaNzWPRC
EXE file: http://www85.zippyshare.com/v/mftqMlUF/file.html

Drop both into the same directory. Edit the script file to suit your needs. You need AutoHotKey installed, I can also make an executable, but this is not a final package.

w0qj
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Keyboard backlight control - potential solution

#2 Post by w0qj » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:00 pm

Oh wow, flashing keyboard lights for Christmas ;)

Please let us know progress as we would be interested in this; our X230 would eventually be upgraded to Win10 (again) in a few years time!
Daily Driver: (X1E3) X1 Extreme 3rd Gen | mobile broadband (WWAN)
Current Thinkpads: X1E3 | X1E1 | X1C10 | X1C9 | X1C4 | X1C3 | X230
Retired Thinkpads: X250 | T410 | T42 | 560 (circa 1996)

brainwash

#3 Post by brainwash » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:12 pm

I don't think I will continue developing this as it serves the purpose just fine. I will release the project on github, at a later time, after the bugs have been ironed out.
I've been trying to recruit developers and REs on this topic for months now, so I've decided to finally spend a night and figure everything out. My only conclusion is that: a) couldn't find anyone interested or b) couldn't find anyone capable. In either case, releasing the source code seems kind of pointless...

USSS

#4 Post by USSS » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:12 am

Interesting little application.

During your development, did you tinker with brightness levels of the backlight? I've been looking for something that would add a third, brighter level without degrading (too much) the lifespan of the white LED array under the keyboard.

brainwash

#5 Post by brainwash » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:11 am

Well, I think the values are somehow hard-coded, as in hardware. Even the fade in/out seems hardcoded as it behaves the same without an OS running.
You can get download the exe file and try different values, but I've seen none that work, apart from 0,1 and 2. I thought 3 would turn on the thinklight, but it did not happen.