Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X270 hangs freezes at Lenovo screen when rebooting

X230-X280, X390 Series
baertracks
Sophomore Member

X270 hangs freezes at Lenovo screen when rebooting

#1 Post by baertracks » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:24 am

I have a friend with a Lenovo Thinkpad X270 i7-7600U, 16GB, 512GB SSD. It has been periodically generating BSOD error messages like "Critical Process Died" and "stop code 0xc000021a". So, I'm trying to troubleshoot it for him. The laptop is still under warranty. However, this "feels" like a software problem to me.

I've just completed updates to the latest version of Windows which took quite a while. I also completed all available updates using the Lenovo Systems Update. I'm now testing to see if there are repeats of BSOD. So far, there have been none.

The problem that I am now noticing, however, is the the computer hangs/freezes when rebooting. It specifically hangs on the Lenovo splash screen with the message "To interrupt normal startup, press Enter" underneath. It never gets beyond that (i.e., to the twirling circle), and is completely unresponsive. However, when I shut down by holding the power button down for several sections, and then restart, the computer boots properly and seems to operate normally. I have run the test using Lenovo Solutions Center, and the hardware appears to check out fine. I've also cleaned the registry using WiseCare.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this glitch, and what I might be able to do about it?

Thanks!
FRANK