Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

x240 no power (shorted board)

X230-X280, X390 Series
xelasoulbad

x240 no power (shorted board)

#1 Post by xelasoulbad » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:12 am

Hi.. does anyone knows what specific part of the board is be shorted..

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/LBNJPt.jpg

Admin warning:
picture WAY too big, tags removed. Please read the Forum Rules, especially Section 5: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14339

Please note: do not repeat-post such pictures, the above link is is enough.

thinkpadcollection

Re: x240 no power (shorted board)

#2 Post by thinkpadcollection » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:46 pm

Hey, only way you will know for sure is take one yellow capacitor (small ceramic SMD capacitors and tantalum cap tend to fail shorted) at a time and check resistance like you have done before till shorted part is found.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

jursky
Freshman Member

#3 Post by jursky » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:02 am

Saw this thread so I thought that I will share my experience with replacing keyboard in my x240 because I had problems with turning the machine back again. After the keyboard was replaced, I periodically tried to turn on the laptop to see whether it works or not. While I did not assemble it back completely (by that I mean putting the X240 into the covers) the laptop was working (turned on). When I plugged everything (wifi card, internal battery, etc.) and put machine into the case, then it wouldn't start upon pressing the power button. I was becoming desperate as to why the machine would work without covers and won't without them. After few tries I tried to start it without internal battery and it worked! But it must have been probably something else because when I let it run for a while, letting it charge the external battery from 0% to 100%, then I tried to disassemble one more time and plug in the internal battery as well. The machine started and charged the internal battery also from 0% to 100%. You have probably another problem but I thought that you might try to run it without battery like I did and maybe it will help.

Off-topic: I still have one problem with my X240 though, after successful replacement of keyboard the function (FN) key stopped working. :( It's so annoying to adjust brightness, volume and everything using Windows.
X230, X1C7 and B156HW01 V.4 (from a W530 ThinkPad) used as an external monitor using LCD controller board.

kuz1toro

#4 Post by kuz1toro » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:50 am

Its hard without schematic and also do you had the tools (microscope, heat gun, multimeleter, n etc), if you had them both , watch loise rossman vid on youtube how hes troubleshoot