Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X260 kernel problems

X230 and later series specific matters only
Timpel_800

X260 kernel problems

#1 Post by Timpel_800 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:47 am

Hello

After almost 8 years of using a x220 I upgraded to a X260 and it does not make me very happy untill now.

First of all, ususally when buying a new machine, you imidiately feel its much faster than your old machine. I did not have that feel with the x260 at all. Rebooting isnt particulary fast nor is opening programms.

Anyway, another thing that worries me is the fact that while browsing on chrome, the machine very regurlarry stops responding for a few seconds. Also, sometimes the mouse is gone for a few seconds. After it comes out of sleepmode, it takes sometimes 30 seconds to "find" the mouse at all.

Now the other thing is that it crashes quite often too. Something that never happend on my x220 at all. The machine just stops and nothing but pushing the powerbutton for some time will make it go reboot itself.

I looked in the eventlogger, which gives me Kernel Power 41 error all the time. It also showes Kernel PhP 219 error

I did not buy the machine new, but it has a clean install on windows 10 pro.

Any suggestions on where to start would be very helpfull. Doing a bios update maybe would help? Or are there more things I can get out of the eventlogger?

thanks in advance,

Tim

Please see this link for screenshot Eventlogger: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j91wz59tuue37 ... 6.png?dl=0
- Lenovo x220 tablet i5 multitouch
- Lenovo X260

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: X260 kernel problems

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:22 am

Are you sure we need to see your fabric invoice?

#1: (unless you installed it yourself,) any 2nd-hand needs a fresh OS, before doing anything else.
#2: avoid W10, you will be (Micro)$hafted! W7 is good for many more years to come.
#3: if you have an external CD/DVD drive or a large(r) USB stick, boot a few times from Linux-Live to see if the problem continues.

#41: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... hout-clean
#219: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ws-based-s
See Point #2 above,
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

skx
Freshman Member

Re: X260 kernel problems

#3 Post by skx » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:20 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:22 am
#2: avoid W10, you will be (Micro)$hafted! W7 is good for many more years to come.
I dare to say, install a linux distro of choice or at least if not into linux, boot from a live cd to test the hardware. Its amazing how microsoft will push many good used thinkpads on the market as from now due to Windows and their Spectre intel CPU fixes on OS level. Just bought a X220 yesterday, when the person showed me laptop with his fresh installed windows 10 it could barely open a window :lol: Politely asked the guy to let me boot my live usb, verified CPU, harddrive, battery and ram in 10min with a bloody responsive debian :mrgreen: and this without any upgrades
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian Stretch
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian Stretch