Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Rebuilding X250 battery?

X230-X280, X390 Series
hndinh

Rebuilding X250 battery?

#1 Post by hndinh » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:59 am

Hi guys,

I just bought an used X250 with fullhd IPS screen with 8Gb of RAM and 180Gb of SSD, according to my normal use the thinkpad only last for around 3 hours compare to 7-8 on the macbook pro retina late 2013 i used before.

One of the reason i found out is that the Thinkpad battery is kind of small, 48 Whr compare to the massive 75Whr of the Macbook pro. I know lenovo has the 68+ battery but it is way too ugly for me to use :( :( . I found some turorial on youtube they talked about changing the cell of the battery to a better one like the panasonic 18650B that might double the capacity of the same cell used on most laptop. However when I took my 68 battery out it was impossible to replace the cell because it is so thin compare to the cell itself. As i dont wanna damage my battery cell, I am asking if any one have a picture of what inside the 68 (not 68+) and the internal built in one OR is there any other way of improving battery life with out sacrificing the thickness of my laptop.

Thank you

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: Rebuilding X250 battery?

#2 Post by dr_st » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:12 am

Welcome to the forum. :D

Messing with battery internals, trying to cram into it cells that are not designed to be there is a sure recipe for battery malfunction at best, and potential safety hazards (overheating, explosion) at worst.

What's the remaining capacity of your batteries? The X250 has two 24Whr batteries - internal and external). It is possible that one or both of them are seriously degraded, and so just replacing it with a new battery will increase your battery runtime significantly. You can use Lenovo's Power Manager or the modern Lenovo Settings / Lenovo Vantage apps to view current battery capacity versus design capacity.

Other than that - I suggest you give the 68+ battery a chance. It should not be as bad-looking in actual use as you fear, and can even be used as a convenient handle for carrying. :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=77&t=126342
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

hndinh

#3 Post by hndinh » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:15 am

dr_st wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:12 am
Welcome to the forum. :D

Messing with battery internals, trying to cram into it cells that are not designed to be there is a sure recipe for battery malfunction at best, and potential safety hazards (overheating, explosion) at worst.

What's the remaining capacity of your batteries? The X250 has two 24Whr batteries - internal and external). It is possible that one or both of them are seriously degraded, and so just replacing it with a new battery will increase your battery runtime significantly. You can use Lenovo's Power Manager or the modern Lenovo Settings / Lenovo Vantage apps to view current battery capacity versus design capacity.

Other than that - I suggest you give the 68+ battery a chance. It should not be as bad-looking in actual use as you fear, and can even be used as a convenient handle for carrying. :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=77&t=126342
Yeah I have run the lenovo power management and the total capacity of the two are 18 (internal) + 16 (removable) = 34Whr which is about 70% of the design capacity. That might be the answer for the poor battery performance i get. The software also tell me the condition of both the batteries are good so i wonder if i should replace them?

kuz1toro

#4 Post by kuz1toro » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:41 am

Had you try to undervolt and underclock the cpu if on batt mode, on my x230 thats nearly give me twice battery life