Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

LP125WH2-SLT1 - best/safest place to buy in uk?

X230 and later series specific matters only
Polly

LP125WH2-SLT1 - best/safest place to buy in uk?

#1 Post by Polly » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:22 am

I bought my X230 a few months ago and am loving it. But I really want to upgrade to an IPS screen. My searching has identified LP125WH2-SLT1 as the most reliable - Many thanks to those of you who have already discussed aspects of this subject in depth.

I'm beginning to feel like I'm searching for the holy Grail.

After much research, I checked the stock level on the website of Screens UK - they were out of stock, but still had stock (7) on Amazon UK (I was told they run as different businesses), so I ordered one this week, got a delivery email, but then got an email that they were out of stock too, so I won't be getting one from them and I'm told no idea when/if they'll be getting more - certainly not any time soon. You can imagine my frustration and disappointment.

I'm now stumped. I've seen others advertised on Amazon UK but after reading in some of the discussions on the Thinkpad x230 forum about the LP125WH2-SLT1 IPS screen being advertised, but then in the small print 'compatible will be sent' blah blah blah, I'm not sure how to go about ensuring that I order the screen from a seller who will send me exactly what I ordered and not a TN substitute - which I already have.

I've never bought a replacement screen before and welcome any and all UK relevant advice anyone is prepared to offer.

Thank you for reading this.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: LP125WH2-SLT1 - best/safest place to buy in uk?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:09 pm

Also look for the Lenovo Twist S230U which has the same LCD.
Look for a complete working lid, even in the EU.
You need to carefully remove the digitizer from the screen (only glued around the edges), but its doable and the screen is a drop-in for X220/X230.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

dr_st

#3 Post by dr_st » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:04 pm

Another thing I can suggest looking into - if you cannot source al LP125WH2-SLT1, get a LP125WH2-SLB3. This is the original IPS screen used in most X230 machines; while not as good as an SLT1 in some ways, it is still nice and better than the original SLB1 used in most X220 systems.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), X1 Carbon (20HQ), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad, A21m 2628-GXU

Polly

#4 Post by Polly » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:25 am

Thanks both of you for the advice :)

I've searched for both your suggestions and come up blank here in the UK.

However, I followed a link at the bottom of the page viewtopic.php?t=123756 and another screen was suggested, since the LG LP125WH2(SL)(T1) is so difficult to come by, the LG LP125WH2(SL)(T2) or the LG LP125WH2(SL)(T3)which are later versions. I've searched and Screens.UK have a LP125WH2(SL)(T3) which does look identical to the one I originally was going to buy but it lacks the lugs to hold the screws. Does anyone have any idea whether this is a mod that is do-able?

I realise I may be clutching at straws, but straws are all I have right now :wink:

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:30 am

Double-sided tape may do the trick, but you need to find out how thick that tape needs to be, and with a decent "glueing" tape you cannot afford wrong-placing the LCD.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

Polly

#6 Post by Polly » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:58 am

Well...
I bit the bullet and bought the LP125WH2(SL)(T3) from https://www.screens.uk/
I also ordered a roll of the super strength adhesive.

Today the screen arrived, and has been installed. Didn't use the adhesive, the fit was so snug that it's held by the bezel, but the jury is still out on what to do about that. I may try fitting some tiny washers to the sides of the screen to screw it to the lid. But it's a very tight fit, so I have to think what I'd use to make them. Maybe something simple and thin such as a small anchovy tin. Washed (obviously) and cut to size. I still have the super strength adhesive - 150 metres of the stuff!

The screen itself is amazing. No dead pixels etc. The difference is 'like night and day'

One thing that needed doing was the taping on the bottom was quite generous and was likely to interfere with either the bezel, or some wiring, not much but there could have been a little unwanted pressure. So a simple fix of peeling it at the back and refixing it more tightly sorted that out.

All in all I'm really pleased.

Thank you to everyone who read this and those who provided answers to my questions. Thanks also to everyone who has discussed the subject in other threads and contributed to the body of information which has been so informative :mrgreen: