Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

[SOLVED] [x240] Change keyboard from no-backlit to backlit

X230-X280, X390 Series
whqdz
Freshman Member

[SOLVED] [x240] Change keyboard from no-backlit to backlit

#1 Post by whqdz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:50 am

Hello there :)

I'm wondering about upgrading my no-backlit keyboard to a backlit one. I saw this one on ebay.

Because of my current x240 keyboard is no backlit, do I need another cable in order to make the new backlit keyboard working or is it just as "plug n play" ?
Last edited by whqdz on Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: [x240] Change keyboard from no-backlit to backlit

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:02 am

You don't need any other cable, but you'll have to take almost the whole machine apart to get at the keyboard.
Make a drawing of where your screws come from and tape them on there, so you know where to put them back.
Make sure to disconnect both batteries before you remove anything inside.

Note: the backlit keyboard gets shiny very quickly! It's got different key material from non-BL.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

whqdz
Freshman Member

#3 Post by whqdz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:47 am

Thank you for your reply :)

I think i'm gonna be good since I'm used to full disasembly some of my units as macbook pro and imac. I don't think the x240 is going to be worst eheh.
My current keyboard keys are already shiny from previous seller, it's a second hand one. It's really not a problem to me, I just need a backlit since I use a lot the unit at night.

I found this tutorial on ifixit, what do you think about it? Or do you know if there is a better one?

whqdz
Freshman Member

#4 Post by whqdz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:55 pm

Nevermind, I found back this tutorial that looks amazing

whqdz
Freshman Member

Re: [SOLVED] [x240] Change keyboard from no-backlit to backlit

#5 Post by whqdz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:15 pm

I've receipt the keyboard this morning and I had free time so I did the swap, it's time to give some news :)

Thanks to the video tutorial that I linked in my previous post, I've been able to do it quietly with all the infos I needed. Changing the keyboard is more a time problem that anything else.

Here are the pictures of the old one, from the original seller (UK keyboard, no-backlit, used), and the new one, on the x240.
https://imgur.com/a/wtq6a96

Once the work has been done, pushing on the power button didn't turn on the unit. I was scary to have broke the motherboard, surprised at the same time because I met no difficulties during the whole process. Finally I just had to plug back the charger to the unit and then it turned on (both batteries were 100%), showing the bios in order to set-up the time and date. After save and exit, I've been able to enjoy the new keyboard :)

As you said RBS, the backlit gets shiny very quickly, I will have to clean my hands more often that ever :mrgreen:

EDIT: as you can notice I swap from UK to US layout since US layout is more comfortable to work with.