Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

[x240] Upgrade IPS 720p touch to 1080p no-touch

X230-X280, X390 Series
whqdz
Freshman Member

[x240] Upgrade IPS 720p touch to 1080p no-touch

#1 Post by whqdz » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:42 am

Hello :)

I read a lot about x240 upgrades since I bought mine a while ago. Now I plan to upgrade my 720p IPS Touch screen to a 1080p IPS NO-Touch since 1080p ips touch are hard to find.

I need help to know what I exactly need. According to what I found on the forum, upgrading from a touch to no-touch ips needs :

1/ A new lcd cable (which one exactly?)
2/ This screen : 00HM745 ( LP125WF2-SPB2 model)

Do I miss something?

Thank you for help :)

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: [x240] Upgrade IPS 720p touch to 1080p no-touch

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:18 am

Yes, quite a bit!
You'll also need all the parts for a complete non-touch lid, as well as new non-touch version hinges.
Been there, done that.
Check the HMM Chapter 9, two sections 2010-onward.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

whqdz
Freshman Member

#3 Post by whqdz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:47 am

Hello RBS!

So, I took a look at the HMM and i'm a little bit confuse. On page 90 there is the "For models with touch panel - 2010 LCD I-shaped bezel". From there I really don't know how to get all the parts for a complete non-touch lid?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:26 pm

From T430/T530/W530/X230 onwards you also need to download the partslist, also called a frubom list.
For X240 go here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd029323
It will be easier (and cheaper) to look for a complete lid (or even a whole defective X240).
Check these lids (without LCD): https://www.ebay.com/itm/153222542333
https://www.ebay.com/itm/382744233618

whqdz
Freshman Member

#5 Post by whqdz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:48 pm

Thank you again, I really appreciate your help and patience, giving some precious infos

So, if I swap with a complete lid from a 720p IPS no-touch x240, I just need to complete it with a 1080p IPS LCD. Then no need to buy a lcd cable right?

I took a look at the doc and swapping the lid seems a better way in any case

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:56 pm

You may stiil need an FHD LCD-cable (00HM134 or 00HM135 or OC46007), but try your 'old' cable first.
You won't damage the screen with the wrong cable.
But DISCONNECT both internal and external battery before you swap the LCD!

whqdz
Freshman Member

#7 Post by whqdz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:05 pm

Thank you for these precious informations, I'll try this these next months once I find one in Europe :)

Yes : disable built-in battery in bios, then unplug external battery and disconnect the internal one once screw up the case :wink:

whqdz
Freshman Member

#8 Post by whqdz » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:06 pm

I'm currently taking a look at the lcd panels FRU list on lenovo website and I'm wondering something : what does AG means?

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/uu/en/prod ... ype%2020AM

My goal is to find the FRU for a 1080p FHD Touch (IPS)

Geartooth
Freshman Member

#9 Post by Geartooth » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:45 pm

whqdz wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:06 pm
I'm currently taking a look at the lcd panels FRU list on lenovo website and I'm wondering something : what does AG means?

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/uu/en/prod ... ype%2020AM

My goal is to find the FRU for a 1080p FHD Touch (IPS)
Anti-Glare. I went from 720p non-Touch to 1080p non-Touch without changing cables.
Your local Pony.

My Collection: X60, T60, X61, X200, X200s, X220i, T420, X130e, X330, X240, XPS 9350

Sold:E6320, X1C1

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#10 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:50 am

That touch-screen would be an LG LP125WF2-SPB2, FRU 00HN747.
Expensive hobby, if you go that way!

whqdz
Freshman Member

#11 Post by whqdz » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:10 pm

Thank you for these informations.

Unfortunately, the only complete lids that I can find on markets are from US and when sellers can ship it in Europe it costs a lot (+100$ of shipping). I took a hard look on different FHD screens and indeed, as you said it costs a lot again, between 200 and 350$ :roll:

My second problem is about that my current x240 looks in a mint condition, I really don't want to change to a lid that could be not as good as the rest of the unit.

I had some talks with different sellers on ebay. One of them is selling FHD IPS Screen , as this one with the same ref that you have listed : FRU 00HN747
This seller said to me they only sell the LCD but the touch digitizer can be added on it.

Another one, selling this LCD with this ref : LP125WF2 (SP) (B2) FRU 04X3922 (what I found on the forum seems legit about the spb2, but I don't know if this RFU is compatible).
This seller said to me it's only the LCD and then I need to put my original digitizer (from a 720p IPS touch) in order to get touch with this new FHD LCD. He said to me that Touch digitizer is not affected by the screen resolution or optical technology and the only another thing I need is a new LVDS cable (are we talking about eDP cable?).

=> So, from this point, it seems like I could be able to put my own digitizer on a FHD IPS LCD (FRU 00HN747) in order to get a FHD Touch IPS, changing the LVDS cable as well.

Any idea about the feasability of this assembly?

Thank you in advance for any informations.

PS: I'm sorry to be a little bit confuse about all the parts that I need in order to upgrade my screen. I It's not really a problem to upgrade from HD Touch to FHD touch or no-touch. The main goal is to get a usable FHD screen by the easiest way.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#12 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:27 pm

You can NOT remove that digitizer from one screen and put it on another screen. That is utter BS!
And make sure that seller CONFIRMS that you get the EXACT screen you order, and NOT a "compatible".
You have all the info now,

whqdz
Freshman Member

#13 Post by whqdz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:12 am

Hello :)

I did the upgrade a week ago and it's time to document all of this in order to give all infos to people that could find this topic.

1/ The parts

1.1 / The complete non-touch lid

According to the previous posts, the easiest way was to get a complete lid (with wifi antenna + webcam + hinges + cover) and a lcd (obviously).
After days of refreshing ebay, I've been lucky to find a complete x250 Top LCD Cover Lid Webcam Hinges Front with Bezel from US for less than 15$. The shipping costs was high but it worth it since buying the parts one by one is more expensive and require to assembly everything.

=> FRU/Ref : 04X5359 and AP0SX000400
=> Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/2ddjyeT

1.2 / The 1080p IPS non-touch Matt LCD

It's the part that costs me the most : we can find many of these LCD at a good price (between 49€ and 69€) but there is only ONE seller that has been able to confirm me the two references of the LCD. It costs me around 90€ to buy to this specific seller. He also had a lot of positive user reviews about the the LCD he's selling. I prefer to be safe and to don't face to any bad surprise, and it's worth it too. It has been really well shipped, it looks brand new. Seems like a perfect hit.

=> FRU/Ref: 00HM745 and LP125WF2-SPB2
=> Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/a1oqhnK

2/ The assembly process

2.1 / Disable internal built-in battery from BIOS and remove the base cover

From Lenovo website:

Before servicing the computer, disable the battery pack in the UEFI BIOS.

1/ Turn off your computer and disconnect the ac power adapter and all cables from the computer.
2/ Turn on your computer. Press F1 to enter the ThinkPad Setup program when the ThinkPad logo is displayed.
3/ Select Config -> Power. The submenu will be displayed.
4/ Select Disable Built-in Battery.
5/ Follow the instructions on the screen.

Then the battery pack is disabled in the UEFI BIOS. When ac power is reconnected, the battery pack will be automatically enabled.

We just need to disconnect the built-in battery since we don't need to remove the motherboard.

=> Video: This Lenovo's video explains how desactivate built-in battery and remove base cover : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzga4MHACoQ

2.2 / Disassembly of the LCD unit

It's an easy step which only requires to unplug the lcd cables from the motherboard (wifi antennas, webcam, lcd), remove some hinge screws, and pull off the lcd. Take care of the original cables positioning in order to remember how to reassemble it "safe and clean". It's the same process whether it's touch or non-touch LCD unit.

=> Original positionning: https://imgur.com/a/K8jItZq
=> LCD Unit Removal Movie: https://support.lenovo.com/fr/fr/videos/vid100222

The second step is to assembly the complete lid with the new LCD. Take care to push the cables inside the hinges as shown in pictures. I used the eDP cable that came with the x250 complete lid I bought. The sticker of this cable has been removed (by the seller himself?) so i'm not able to give the FRU. I gave it a chance to work fine.

=> Lid/LCD assembly: https://imgur.com/a/d3dEvCP

3/ The final test

3.1 / Reassembly

Just repeat the same steps in the opposite direction. Take care of the cables positionning, especially at the hinges level. The trickiest part has been to reconnect the wifi cables because the plugs are really small. I used some tap in order to keep the cable in a good position before pluging it. Don't replace the bezel before testing if the new LCD works (it's not important but in case there is something wrong it's more easy to come back to previous steps).

Because of the built-in battery has been disabled, the unit needs to be plugin to the AC in order to boot.

3.2 / Final test

The new LCD should be recognized directly.

=> First boot with the new LCD: https://imgur.com/a/6Dzfu8C

4/ Conclusion

This upgrade is a way more easy than changing the keyboard or the trackpad, from my personnal point of view. The most difficult has been to find the complete lid at a good price (the others I saw were as expensive as a new LCD) and to be sure to get a REAL LCD.

The final look of a 1080p screen on a 12" is really nice, it's like getting a new unit (I've upgraded trackpad and keyboard weeks ago). I bought a Matt LCD since it's more comfortable for long work sessions and light reflections.

I'm using Manjaro Budgie and the OS automatically supports HiDPI. I've changed the text scale from 1 to 1,10 (it looks small but enough bigger to be able to read system fonts easily).
Browsing is a little bit différent, we can change the font size directly in the browser's settings, but the websites are a little bit small. Firefox needs the use of a plug-in in order to scale it. It's possible to change it directly from the settings if using Chromium, the best scale seems to be 125%.

The angles are amazing in comparison to the original 720p touch LCD as you can see in the following pictures:

=> Different angle views: https://imgur.com/a/VAU6TWL

It seems like this 1080p non-touch IPS consumes a little bit less than the original 720p touch screen. I'm not sure since I've reset to a new and fresh OS and I use the screen lighting at 30% instead of 50% with the touch. It consumes 4,37Wh on "standby" (reading a pdf).

I hope it will help to people who would like to upgrade from a (ips) touch to non-touch ips LCD. Thank you also for all the precious informations that RBS and Geartooth gave to me :)