Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

x230 - How to verify a battery plug works without a battery, is it even necessary?

X230-X280, X390 Series
Terrice

x230 - How to verify a battery plug works without a battery, is it even necessary?

#1 Post by Terrice » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:38 pm

I am to meet with a seller in the next upcoming days. The laptop is not being sold with a battery. The seller claims he threw it out because it does not hold a charge. Therefore, to make sure it actually powers on, I'll be plugging it into AC, and then checking that there is no BIOS password. However, I am afraid the laptop's battery plug is broken. Maybe I am just paranoid, I know that thinkpads were designed with batteries to be taken in and out. However, it's been without a battery for a while, is it possible some dust could get in there and distrupt the connection?

Also, is there anything else I should check for when I pick up the laptop, before making a payment?

Thank you :D

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: x230 - How to verify a battery plug works without a battery, is it even necessary?

#2 Post by TPFanatic » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:50 pm

I'd check for physical damage to the battery connector, with none present it's probably fine.

Internally, the charging circuit can be destroyed if the laptop tries to charge a dead battery for a long time - but ThinkPad batteries are designed to trip a killswitch on themselves when they die, that tells the laptop that the battery is dead, and the laptop will know not to try charging it. Third battery batteries don't have this safety feature, but X230 is one of those laptops that won't charge a third battery battery anyway. :D

Regardless, it would be extremely unusual for the battery connector or charging circuit to be damaged in any way.

Terrice

Re: x230 - How to verify a battery plug works without a battery, is it even necessary?

#3 Post by Terrice » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:07 pm

TPFanatic wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:50 pm
I'd check for physical damage to the battery connector, with none present it's probably fine.

Internally, the charging circuit can be destroyed if the laptop tries to charge a dead battery for a long time - but ThinkPad batteries are designed to trip a killswitch on themselves when they die, that tells the laptop that the battery is dead, and the laptop will know not to try charging it. Third battery batteries don't have this safety feature, but X230 is one of those laptops that won't charge a third battery battery anyway. :D

Regardless, it would be extremely unusual for the battery connector or charging circuit to be damaged in any way.
Thanks for your answer! Just as I expected; seems like the x230 is a pretty much a beast :D

Ironically, I do plan to use an after-market battery with the laptop. Also, I obviously won't leave it charging for a long time.