Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X270 Reset error (platform reset not de-asserted)

X230 and later series specific matters only
thinksy

X270 Reset error (platform reset not de-asserted)

#1 Post by thinksy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:49 am

Hi,

My X270 stopped working, it does a smart beep code and displays nothing when powered on. The smart beep code leads to this:

Reset error (platform reset not de-asserted)

1. Remove all power resources (the ac power adapter, removable battery, and coin-cell battery). If your computer has a built-in battery, reset the computer by inserting a straightened paper clip into the emergency-reset hole. Wait for one minute. Then reconnect all power resources.
2. Replace the system board (service provider only)

I have tried #1 and the problem still persists, is #2 suggested to replace the motherboard?
Has anyone done any fault finding and found a dud component on the board? I'd much rather replace a component, otherwise, if I replace the motherboard, will it be plug n play? Or I'll have to go through additional steps to "learn" the new board?

I tend to keep my Thinkpads forever, because they don't die, but this seems to be the first which may actually be dead.

Thanks!

w0qj

Re: X270 Reset error (platform reset not de-asserted)

#2 Post by w0qj » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:19 am

Greetings to our ThinkPads forum!

1. Here is the X270 HMM (Hardware Maintenance Manual):
http://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobil ... j65511.pdf

2. On page 39 of this X270 HMM, it suggested that you change to a new motherboard, as the old motherboard may be defective.

Quote:
"0001: Reset error (platform reset not de-asserted).

Solutions:
1.Remove all power resources (the ac power adapter, removable battery, and coin-cell battery).
If your computer has a built in battery, reset the computer by inserting a straightened paper clip into the emergency-reset hole.
Wait for one minute.
Then reconnect all power sources.

2.Replace the system board (service provider only)."
Daily Driver: X1 Extreme 1st Gen (X1E1): i7 | 16GB | 1TB | IPS
Current Thinkpads: X1E1 | X1C4 | X1C3 | X250 | X230 | T410
Retired Thinkpads: T42 | 560 (circa 1996)
~~IBM Thinkpad era computer bag !

madicetea

#3 Post by madicetea » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:48 am

thinksy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:49 am
Hi,

My X270 stopped working, it does a smart beep code and displays nothing when powered on. The smart beep code leads to this:

Reset error (platform reset not de-asserted)

1. Remove all power resources (the ac power adapter, removable battery, and coin-cell battery). If your computer has a built-in battery, reset the computer by inserting a straightened paper clip into the emergency-reset hole. Wait for one minute. Then reconnect all power resources.
2. Replace the system board (service provider only)

I have tried #1 and the problem still persists, is #2 suggested to replace the motherboard?
Has anyone done any fault finding and found a dud component on the board? I'd much rather replace a component, otherwise, if I replace the motherboard, will it be plug n play? Or I'll have to go through additional steps to "learn" the new board?

I tend to keep my Thinkpads forever, because they don't die, but this seems to be the first which may actually be dead.

Thanks!
I wonder if it is a logic error associated with this issue https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/w ... cation.pdf

Your error's wording intrigued me, so I did a bit of Googling and found this.

While I don't understand it completely, perhaps if you change the memory chip then it might be able to clear the necessary memory and the BIOS will re-boot? If not, perhaps something is wrong with the way the logic is set in the CMOS / BIOS ROM and indeed perhaps your motherboard needs replacing?

I have no clue if this is right or not, but I wish you luck on your search for a solution.

Brad
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#4 Post by Brad » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:20 pm

Welcome!

If this X270 still has warranty remaining if it was me I would call for service.

Brad
Long Island New York
T43p 2669-Q1U, A22p's UTU A21p HXU
Transnote, 770's 8AU, 600, 701CS, 755CD

madicetea

#5 Post by madicetea » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:15 am

Brad wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:20 pm
Welcome!

If this X270 still has warranty remaining if it was me I would call for service.

Brad
I assumed this was not an option, but definitely this if you have warranty still. It's what they have it for!