Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad x240 does not work touchpad

X230 and later series specific matters only
Arthur RUS

Thinkpad x240 does not work touchpad

#1 Post by Arthur RUS » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:20 pm

Good afternoon, dear forum users! The problem is as follows; The touchpad stopped working, took it to the service, but the master could not figure it out! I think, okay, I will try it myself, ordered a connector, touchpad on aliexpress, installed everything but the touchpad didn’t wake up, the window could not be contacted indicating device pointing to synaptic, then I went more radically, thinking that the controller on the motherboard broke, I I just ordered a new motherboard for myself, with i7 instead of i3) after receiving, I collected everything and uploaded fresh Windows 10, but the touchpad did not work. I can’t contact the driver of the pointing device synaptic I ask for help!

P/S I am writing through a translator, so I apologize.

Re: Thinkpad x240 does not work touchpad

#2 Post by 31336 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:12 pm

Just to confirm, you also replaced the connector tape, right? That would be the most obvious culprit. (A new one should probably come with the new touchpad.)

There is a key combination to disable touchpad ("UltraNav"). I think it's Fn-F8. Did you not press it accidentally?

I'm not familiar with the X240 but there might be a setting to disable the touchpad in the BIOS, probably somewhere under "Security."

It could be palm rejection kicking in, or some other botched driver settings. Does the touchpad PCI ID show up in Device Manager? Uninstall the device completely (check the box to delete the driver software).

Alternatively, boot into a separate Windows installation. One option is to download and run this off a flash drive: https://www.hirensbootcd.org/usb-booting/

If the touchpad works there, then it's definitely some Windows driver issue.

You might also be able to find help here in Russian: http://forum.ixbt.com/
701C (The Butterfly) · 360CSE · 370C · T20 · T42 · T60 · X31 · X220 ⨯ 2

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Thinkpad x240 does not work touchpad

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:46 am

Have you seen this: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=126967
And this: http://diy.mironto.sk/thinkpad-x240-rep ... -keyboard/

FYI: some newer X240 have the same clunkpad/touchpad mounting holes as the X250.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.