Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Help! Display connection (?) problem

X230 through X280, plus X390 series specific matters only
divB

Help! Display connection (?) problem

#1 Post by divB » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:13 pm

Hi,

I have the problem that my Lenovo X230 Tablet does not start. The display remains dark and I get a sound code like "= - - - - =" (where "=" means long and "-" means short).

I had this the first time years ago after opening/closing my laptop (e.g. inserting WWAN card, new keyboard, ...). The problem always disappeared after opening/closing the laptop again ... and basically never reappeared for years.

About two weeks ago, the issue became more frequent. I assumed the problem is related to the two grey cables that go to the display and I could fix the problem by wiggling the cables/connectors under the keyboard. The issue became so frequent that I did not put in the screws of the keyboard any more ... so I could just quickly wiggle the cable and be done.

Starting from today, I cannot start the laptop any more. The display always stays dark and outputs this sound code.

Here is a picture of the two grey cables I mean: https://pasteboard.co/IUA7M6f.png

As you can see, the right cable seems to be a bit broken. Maybe is has been squeezed in the past.
Can this be the problem?
  • What does this sound code exactly relate to?
  • What does this cable exactly carry (and what the other)?
  • Can the issue be on the broken cable?
  • Is there the chance of getting this cable without replacing the entire display unit?
ANY information about the X230t display that could be of any help would be much appreciated!!

Thank you!!

divB

Re: Help! Display connection (?) problem

#2 Post by divB » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:10 pm

Update: I think the “CM-NOTE LCD CABLE” is really broken upon closer inspection. Maybe ist just worked so far by barely touching but now it seems one of the wires is clearly cut. darn!

I found a replacement for a whopping 40$ (!) on eBay and it’ll take a week at least until it’s here. I’ll keep this forum posted if I’m successful.

Meanwhile:
  • Any report of people having had a similar issue is much appreciated!
  • Is there any useful way to use the laptop meanwhile without display (using Remote Desktop over network and/or external display)?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:23 am

External monitor would be a good temporary solution.
Remove AC and battery before you dis-/reconnect the LCD-cable.
I wonder why you paid so much for the 04W1775 cable.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.
Covid-19: Mask it or casket.

divB

#4 Post by divB » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:47 pm

Thank you!
I am just thinking external monitor is hard because I removed the complete display unit and lacking Wifi etc. too.
I haven't tried but I assume the laptop would not even start (and do the beep pattern mentioned) when no display is connected?

I didn't realize the cable is FRU 04W1775 (I searched for 50.4K.J02.001). In any case, it wasn't too bad ... the 40 are actually CAD ... so effectively 30 USD und then tax and shipping is 17 ... so the cable itself was 13 USD.

I meanwhile opened the display unit and I feel I was super careful but still, the small plastic bridges with the screw connectors broke! :(
This seems to be assembled to fragile and delicate. For now I can just hope I am able to use super glue to put it back together but I am afraid it won't matter too much. My main question is how to properly disassemble and re-assemble the display unit without breaking more of the plastics?

That's kinda frustrating ...

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:12 am

Get the illustrated Manual from the HMM link above.
There are plenty instructions and Youtubes available on the internet as well, such as https://www.laptop-lcd-screen.co.uk/blo ... X230-.aspx
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.
Covid-19: Mask it or casket.

divB

#6 Post by divB » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:00 pm

Thank you!
Cable finally arrived and my x230t seems to work for now... (with a small exception which I will create a new thread)