Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

x230 trackpad resolution pain points

X230 through X280, plus X390 series specific matters only
samveen

x230 trackpad resolution pain points

#1 Post by samveen » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:25 am

The x230 (which I purchased in mid 2019) is my first daily driver Thinkpad ever. Before that I've mainly used Macbook Pros , a Dell and a Toshiba laptop.

After 16 years of Trackpads, I've noticed that the x230 trackpad has a minimum jump distance that is larger than one pixel on the screen. It is a pain to try and do actions that require finer granularity of movement than the mouse jump (as the mouse cannot be positioned where it needs to be).

Is that a real thing, or is it just me and my x230? If this is a thing, is there any way to increase the resolution at which the trackpad works? I have read something about sticker removal to make an improvement, but I can't think why that would be. If this is just me and my x230, anyone have any ideas why it might be so?

I'm using (X)Ubuntu Bionic (18.04.3) on the laptop with recent `apt upgrade`s.

Tangentially, I am in the process of trying to start using the Trackpoint, but 16 years of conditioning to multi-touch capable touchpads ( Toshiba Tecra M2 2004 -> Macbook Pro 20shyte-> Dell some_shyte -> Macbook Pro 20more_shyte) makes it a bit hard.

samveen

Re: x230 trackpad resolution pain points

#2 Post by samveen » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:06 am

It looks like I didn't do a deep enough search. The problem is actually well documented as the main problem point of the x230! Since 2011!!!

I managed to apply a solution for Linux as listed on the archlinux wiki page for the x230, which fixed the problem, but now I need to go through another bit of re-adjustment till I get used to the difference (thank god I use the terminal most of the time).