Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Black coax (antenna) cable broken

X230 through X280, plus X390 series specific matters only
divB

Black coax (antenna) cable broken

#1 Post by divB » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:06 pm

Hi,

On mmy x230t there are three 4 cables coming from my display (red, blue, black, grey). I think those are coax cables for WWAN and WIFI antennas.

I just replaced my 04W1775 cable and while assembling the laptop again I realized that the cable coax cable is broken. It's not cut in half but looks as if it would have been squeezed and the inner conductor is visible. Since the cable goes to the Wifi adapter I think it's the cable and I was afraid already that WIFI won't work or will have very bad signal. However, at frist glance WIFI works as always and WWAN works too (as far as I could test it).

Now I have two questions:
  • Why are there two (and not one) antenna cable for Wifi? What is the difference between the black and the grey cable? Can one of them (the black one) be broken?
  • Does this black cable also have a FRU number? Would you recommend to replace it or just leave it since everything seems to work for now?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Black coax (antenna) cable broken

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:16 am

One is a Main, the other an Auxiliary antenna. On some laptops there is also a 3rd cable for Wimax/Mimo.
Put some tape around the "wounded" spot and make sure not to squeeze any antenna wires in future.
Continue using as-is till it stops working.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.
Covid-19: Mask it or casket.

JPOESQ
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

Re: Black coax (antenna) cable broken

#3 Post by JPOESQ » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:08 am

If you can’t wrap tape around the wire or the tape won’t stick then put a small amount of clear silicone-based sealant over the exposed conductor.
John P. O'Banion, JD, PE, BSEE
Registered Patent Attorney
http://www.intellectual.com

600, X220 (McDonnell bios, Linux), X230, T530 (1vyrain bios), X1 Carbon 5th Signature Edition