Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

x230t weird beeps (blank screen)

X230-X280, X390 Series
divB

x230t weird beeps (blank screen)

#1 Post by divB » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:31 pm

Hi,

My x230t makes a weird beep when starting (screen stays blank):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/46maiwhx7slct ... 3.m4a?dl=0

Is any experienced user able to decode this and assign a possible cause?

I would encode it as "long short short long short short long short" but I am not sure. I found https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht035729 but none of these beeping codes seem to match.

The weird part: It only happens when the trackpad (from the handrest) is connected. If I do not connect it, everything seems to work just fine. Even if thing would be broken, it's hard for me to believe that this would result in a total system failure where not even an error code can be displayed (and in the normal case I would just expect the trackpad not working).

Any reasonable ideas?

Thanks!!

PS: It's not the most important part because I am using the red knob. But a trackpad would still be nice.
PPS: Disclaimer: I recently replaced the handrest with a new part from Aliexpress. Close inspection revealed it was clearly a knockoff and not an original. It was missing some plastic bridges and it's missing the water drainage holes. Having said that, the part worked before already! I also had a similar problem recently (not sure if it was the same beeping code) but I think it was related to the LCD connector which I resolved (see viewtopic.php?f=69&t=130087&e=1)

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: x230t weird beeps (blank screen)

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:00 am

Was the touchpad on the old palmrest working? If yes, see if you can transplant it to the new palmrest.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

divB

Re: x230t weird beeps (blank screen)

#3 Post by divB » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:40 pm

Yeah that's a good point and what I just wanted to do. However, it seems the new palmrest came without the touchpad! So I transplanted my old one already :(