Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

[X230] EC Patch for numpad a la classic keyboard?

X230-X280, X390 Series
jnxd91

[X230] EC Patch for numpad a la classic keyboard?

#1 Post by jnxd91 » Thu May 21, 2020 5:20 pm

Hi All.

I have been having quite some failure while trying to install the classic KB on my X230, so trying to get at least one interesting feature of the in-built num-pad that can be activated using a Fn+ combo. As far as I have learned, the feature does work on the X230 after the EC patch. This suggests it might be possible to incorporate just that feature into a patch, or even better simply through OS (Linux here). Since num-lock key for the classic KB is way up in the 7th row, we would need to remap num-pad toggle to some other combo (I imagine Fn+Insert or Fn+F2).

Unfortunately, I don't have the skill required to edit the assembly code to make this work. Could someone help me out here, or direct me towards where I should look?

Thanks

atagunov

Re: [X230] EC Patch for numpad a la classic keyboard?

#2 Post by atagunov » Fri May 22, 2020 7:55 am

Heh to me it sounds like what you're asking for - messing with keyboard related code in EC - is on the extreme level of skill/magic/gickery.. People have been able to "replant" X220 keyboard code into X230 EC and this is already a massive feat.. Asking for more magic is probably asking too much :)

Intuitively it does seem like you might have a better shot at mapping keys at the OS level though I've never messed with that either.
X220, 2 *T520