Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

[X230] best way to connect two 3.5" HDD to build a NAS?

X230-X280, X390 Series
atagunov

Re: [X230] best way to connect two 3.5" HDD to build a NAS?

#31 Post by atagunov » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:33 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:36 pm
At that power consumption you should go really for a 500-600W PSU.
In my desktop I have a Seasonic S12 620W PSU, that's been in there since 2001.
Hey RBS, I actually got on hand a couple of similar PSU-s from about 10 years ago, I know how good they are.
I'm going for a super-duper compact build though, and absolutely minimum size I could swallow would be so called "SFX L" size, which is 125x125x63.5mm.

You can get pretty decent units in this size, though I honestly don't see why go above about 350Wt of power.
It's my conscious decision to go for a CPU with TDP limited to 35W.
If I can further cut it to 25W in BIOS, so much the better.

The HDD-s only draw a lot of power during spin up and even then it's not above 35W per disk, might even be 25W on newer disks..
The chipset is rated at around 6W TDP and the extension cards.. how much can they take? Probably not above 10-30W..

One solution that fits my case layout nicely would be two SSP-300SUB, apparently you can connect any group of ATX PSU-s in such a way that they power on/off simultaneously. Then you can power part of HDD-s and motherboard from one and part of HDD-s from the other. My problem with this setup is that I read SSP-300SUB can be hell lot of noisy... And on top of that even at idle they are said to go up to 40 degrees Celsius. Not very good to keep heating up the NAS when there is no load. They are 150x80x40mm each so side-by-side they'd make 150x160x40 which would fit my desing very nicely..

I might go for an SFX L sized unit at 350-450W, but the extra 2.35cm of height are giving me cringes :)

P.S. super-duper compact is partially for sport and partially for home-use approval, my stuff is already taking up way too much space :-D
X220, 2 *T520