Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X270 - Advice on Keyboard Replacement

X230-X280, X390 Series
Grey Area
Freshman Member

X270 - Advice on Keyboard Replacement

#1 Post by Grey Area » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:58 am

Hello!

I have an X270, and I want to replace its old keyboard with a Nordic backlit one that I have lying around, FRU 04X0241. When I google the FRU I get unclear results regarding the compatibility, many pages (often just retailers) merely list X240-X260. Should it fit the X270? I thought those are basically all the same machine.

Now, I did actually test it a little, and physically the keyboard fits in fine, but I had trouble starting up the computer with it. The power button light went on, but the machine stayed black. As I needed the computer somewhat urgently, I did not spend much time with this and reverted back to the original non-backlit keyboard. For a few scary minutes then I could not even get the machine running again with its original keyboard, but eventually it sorted itself out and turned on normally. So who knows, maybe the backlit one would have worked as well if I had been more patient?

Anyway, replacing an X270 keyboard is an unpleasant amount of work, and doing two replacements back to back thoroughly drained my motivation to try again, so I have kept the original keyboard for months. But the situation keeps nagging at me. Does anyone know, should my spare keyboard work? And what about the bumpy restarts, is that to be expected? Some internal diagnostics running maybe, and I should just wait 5 minutes or whatever?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: X270 - Advice on Keyboard Replacement

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:25 am

X240/X250/X260 can all use the same KB.
You need to spend some more time to see if they also work in X270.
Many sellers, not just on eBay, "claim" they work on all X240-X270, but it's not a fact (yet).
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

Grey Area
Freshman Member

Re: X270 - Advice on Keyboard Replacement

#3 Post by Grey Area » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:50 pm

You are right, testing seems the only way. So that is what I have finally done now after another few days of procrastination.

And lo and behold, and let it be known, it works!

And no startup hiccups this time either. I think what I did different this time was that I properly shut down the internal battery in the BIOS, not just pulled its plug. When I studied the manual this time I noticed that I had missed that step last time. Maybe a reason? Anyway, it works.