Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X250 - cannot power on, no signs of life

X230-X280, X390 Series
Daniel Eckert

X250 - cannot power on, no signs of life

#1 Post by Daniel Eckert » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:49 pm

Hello everyone,
I need some help.

My X250 (Type 20CL-S4XP00) won't power on no matter what I've tried so far, and I also don't get any other signs of life, no LEDs blinking, no beeping, nothing.

I have a few things that I could imagine being the cause of the issue:

First, I didnt deactivite the internal battery in BIOS, I only had the ThinkPad powered down before I opened up the case and unplugged its connector.
I know I should'nt have done that, I was lazy, am I paying the price now?

Second, I soldered some wires to the pins on the backside of the power input. My goal was to add usb-pd charging to my device, more info in a footnote, because it is only semi-relevant here.
But, after all that, I checked with a multimeter, I would still get 20V between red and black, and 120Ω between black and white when plugging in the original charger, all measurements taken at the white 5-pin plug connecting the power input to the motherboard.
So, everything should be all right here, or am I missing something?

Third, I made a mistake at the right hinge, the camera cable that also connects to the power button, got squeezed in a way it shouldn't have been, and is now visibly damaged, I can see some silver shining through the black isolation.

My questions:

(a) Since I have damaged the camera cable wich also connects the power button, potentially causing malfunction, is there some way of powering up a thinkpad without using it?

(b) Or is there any way of testing if the power button works seperately from everything else?

(c) Should I get a replacement for that camera/power button cable? Is the replacement process doable?

(d) Even though I've checked with the multimeter, should I still get a replacement for the power input cable?

(e) Did I forget to include any relevant information?

Any help is greatly apreciated!

Greetings, Daniel

Footnote:
To add usb-pd charging to my device, I soldered some wires from the output of a 20V usb-pd trigger board to the pins (red and black) at the back of the existing power input. This board can communicate with any usb-pd power source, demanding 20V output.
I also hooked up the needed resistor (with a switch to toggle ) for the thinkpad to recognize the charger between ground of the trigger board and the white pin of the power input.
I located the trigger board on the place where the slot for the kensington lock was before, making space by filing out the plastic a bit and removing some metal.
But those mechanical changes cant be the cause of the issue here, after doing those, the laptop worked just fine.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: X250 - cannot power on, no signs of life

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:53 am

Before you start, I suggest you remove the external and disconnect the internal battery (because I don't trust such a BIOS-disable).

Get the X250 manual here: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobi ... f30022.pdf
And the frubom/partslist: https://download.lenovo.com/parts/Think ... 160106.pdf

Then go here: https://forum.laboneinside.com/viewtopic.php?t=5224 and click on the orange 'block' to download the X250 schematics.
I would also suggest to check all fuses you can find for continuity/beep.

Definitely replace that camera/power cable with any of these:
00HT400 N WV2,CAM CBL,LUX
00HT401 N WV2,CAM CBL,AMP
00HT402 N WV2,CAM CBL,eSKY
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

Daniel Eckert

Re: X250 - cannot power on, no signs of life

#3 Post by Daniel Eckert » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:13 am

Hey RealBlackStuff,
Thank you for your answer.

The issue was the cable, I have ordered a replacement.
I was able to get my laptop to boot after disconnecting the faulty cable and following these steps I found in another forum:

>>
| Unpluged the AC adapter and removed the external battery; opened the back cover and disconnected the internal battery and the coin battery.
|
| Connected AC adapter and pressed the emergency reset button on the back for several seconds; turned off the AC adapter power for a couple of seconds and then
| turned it on again. Without press the power button, the laptop came back alive with a boot screen message saying the CMOS checksum was bad and time/date need
| to be set.
|
| Pressed F1 key and updated time/date and then F10 key and RETURN. The laptop loaded Windows 10 with no other problem. While it is still powered on, I reconnected
| the internal battery and the coin battery, put the back cover on and inserted the external battery. Surfing the Internet, running Windows 10 updates and virus scan,
| including write this post; all without any problem, except the following:
|
| The laptop goes back to the initial dead state again if I use the mouse to click on the "Shut down" power off option. I will need to repeat everything from the beginning - | disconnect all power source (AC adapter, external and internal batterys as well as the CMOS coin battery) and use only AC adapter power with the emergency reset
| button, ..., get into BIOS page to update time/date, ...
<<
(link: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X ... -p/3992423 )

I will now wait for the replacement part, found the 00HT401 on ebay.
Until then, I'll just keep the laptop on or in sleep mode, from wich I am able to wake up using the keyboard.

And as a side note, my usb-pd charging mod was actually sucessfull, I will probably make a post somewhere explaining everything I've done with pictures.
If anyone is interested, PM me, I'll give you the link once I've made the post.

Greetings, Daniel