Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Anyone has any idea what I just did? .. x230

X230-X280, X390 Series
DanielSip

Anyone has any idea what I just did? .. x230

#1 Post by DanielSip » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:05 am

I was plugging in speakers connector in x230 with my fingernail (it was really tight) and it slipped and broke one of the smd parts.. motherboard still had that black protective film on it, I guess my nails are just too sharp :D I feel like I am a total moron.. To the question, maybe some of you know what that part (I don't know what this is, yet) is responsible for ? Couldn't find any schematic for it (naive me), but tried to boot it and just see what happens, which might be not the best idea, but I was thinking maybe that's a part of the speaker amp and without it it just wouldn't work, but didn't see anything unusual after booting. Smd component is partly broken, but it looks like it has wire in it and if that, it might be the fuse? Here are the pics (missing component is C205):
https://i.ibb.co/mRdVK3k/20210320-163502.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/qgQFttP/20210320-140847.jpg
Any help would mean a lot to me

FORUM warning:
picture(s) WAY too big, tags removed. Please read the Forum Rules, especially Section 5: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14339

m11k
Freshman Member

Re: Anyone has any idea what I just did? .. x230

#2 Post by m11k » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:50 am

The pads labeled C205 are for a capacitor, not a fuse. Check out the X230 schematics listed here: http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/hardware ... matics.pdf. If you search for C205, you'll see the schematic for it, on page 24.

On page 2 there is a naming convention for capacitors. The example they give is for SCD1U10VMV, whereas this capacitor is a SC1U10V2KX. Since "D1U" stands for 0.1uF, I would guess that "1U" stands for 1uF. So, this is a SMD 1uF 10V 0402 Class 2 (X7R/X5R) capacitor.

What is unclear to me is whether it is necessary. Sometimes some capacitors can be left out of the circuit without any ill effects. I'm not adept enough at circuit layouts to know whether that is the case for this capacitor. The schematic is simple-enough. Maybe someone here would be able to tell you. If nobody here knows, I would maybe try posting over at the EEVblog forum. I've had good luck getting helpful responses from members over there.
Daily Driver: W530
Regular Rotation: T601F (Intel), T601F (NVidia), Corebooted X230 & T430, X1C 5th gen
Spares: T450, T460s
For fun: 600X w/ 850MHz CPU, 390E

DanielSip

Re: Anyone has any idea what I just did? .. x230

#3 Post by DanielSip » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:44 pm

I think I'm just going to buy that capacitor and solder it back to make sure everything is ok, and it looks like this one is good to go:
I will remember about your suggestion about EEVblog in future, but I hope I won't need it for repairing my own things (mods and gaining experience - sure!) :D

Didn't actually expect that I will find out what I broke, thank you! How fortunate I am that you came across this thread :D