Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X230 Inoperative Keyboard

X230-X280, X390 Series
f23coupe

X230 Inoperative Keyboard

#1 Post by f23coupe » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:15 am

Hello,

I'm the original owner of a X230 and I'm soliciting feedback on whether others also think I need to replace my current keyboard or not.

A few months ago, I noticed that my keyboard stopped registering key inputs coupled with short, interrupted beep sounds in Windows (10) and stuttering of mouse control. I first thought that my Windows 10 was corrupted, but to rule it out, I booted it into Slax off a thumb drive and tried navigating the menus within the BIOS. How did I get into the BIOS without a working keyboard? Through an external keyboard via USB.

Here are the symptoms:
-At boot up, the Power button, Mute button, Mic Mute button and the main keys light up.
-After a short while, none of the buttons register input, except for the Power button. Power button remains operative and I can initiate Sleep or forced Power Off.
-Other than at initial boot, there is no indication that any of the keys register input (except for the Power button) whether in BIOS, in Slax off USB drive booted before Windows boots or in Windows 10.
-Further, while in Windows 10, very short beeping sounds can be heard. They're short because it sounds like the beeps are being interrupted by another beep. This is accompanied by stuttering of mouse pointer movement, which is reminiscent of Windows 3.1 days of what'd happen if you incorrectly allocate the IRQs that eventually lead to a hang.

If I need to replace the keyboard, is there a good and reputable source to get a good backlit replacement? I'm not interested in replacing with an older style as the chiclet style is fine with me. Thanks in advance!

StuB

Re: X230 Inoperative Keyboard

#2 Post by StuB » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:14 am

Me personally. If thinking of replacing a part, I'd clean and reseat it just to make sure it's not just a connection issue. Also when removed, try a USB keyboard and mouse and see if that is OK or the issues persist. If persist then other problems. I took my X230 apart, quite easy just place screws in an order as different lengths. I'd say take pics but I got a little involved and forgot most of the pic taking. Working fine now though. Bluetooth was playing up, just reseat and fine. Gave everything a dusting whilst I was in. Didn't change battery though. Good luck. :D

f23coupe

#3 Post by f23coupe » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:07 am

Thank you. The external keyboard worked and I needed to use one to get around BIOS settings, run diagnostics and such. So I don't think the built-in keyboard was preventing even external USB keyboards to not work. As for disconnecting and reseating, I did it once, but I'll certainly try it again. The original keyboard is better than aftermarket, so I definitely prefer to keep the existing keyboard if I could.

atagunov

#4 Post by atagunov » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:45 pm

f23coupe wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:15 am
-At boot up, the Power button, Mute button, Mic Mute button and the main keys light up.
-After a short while, none of the buttons register input, except for the Power button
-Other than at initial boot, there is no indication that any of the keys register input (except for the Power button) whether in BIOS, in Slax off USB drive booted before Windows boots or in Windows 10.
Hi, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the trouble. I'd say the fact that buttons light up doesn't mean they're working. The way I understand your post is that none of the buttons work at all except power
f23coupe wrote:
-Further, while in Windows 10, very short beeping sounds can be heard. They're short because it sounds like the beeps are being interrupted by another beep. This is accompanied by stuttering of mouse pointer movement, which is reminiscent of Windows 3.1 days of what'd happen if you incorrectly allocate the IRQs that eventually lead to a hang
So is it some specific action that triggers the beeping/stuttering? Or does Windows start to behave like that immediately after booting? Does Slax generally run okay or does it also stutter and so on?

One thing you can do is detach the keyboard and see if it changes behaviour. E.g. if your X230 operates normally without a keyboard. BTW I'm using a T520 as a desktop replacement. It just takes a lot less space. I keep it docked all the time connected to external monitor keyboard and mouse. I guess worst case you can use your X230 like that - if it refuses to operate with a Thinkpad keyboard at all.
f23coupe wrote:
If I need to replace the keyboard, is there a good and reputable source to get a good backlit replacement? I'm not interested in replacing with an older style as the chiclet style is fine with me. Thanks in advance!
I'd look for a used keyboard on ebay. I'd purchase from a private seller who posts the actual photos of the keyboard he is selling. I'd compare especially how the back side of the keyboard looks against the keyboard you already have to try and avoid buying a fake. At least for X220 keyboards there are fakes around. I have one which I purchased for silly money from AliExpress :(

BTW are you aware about http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_C ... _ThinkPads ? For one thing I'm not sure if replacing your keyboard will solve your issues at all.. maybe it's your motherboard that is bad somehow.. But if replacing a keyboard does solve the issue you could try a *20 series keyboard instead (X220, T520, T420 - they are all the same). Just make sure to tape off the pins as shown on that page and here https://imgur.com/a/fsRe6 and you can try. If normal buttons work there will be some messing around with software you'll need to do next to make your F1-F10 row work correctly in conjunction with Fn key.. Just saying.. Because I love *20 keyboards and *30 keyboards are not my thing. Matter of personal preference..
X220, 2 *T520

StuB

#5 Post by StuB » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:56 pm

Sorry about that f23coupe. Completely forgot your second paragraph "How did I get into the BIOS without a working keyboard? Through an external keyboard via USB." Probably where I got the idea from. atagunov has come up with some good tips though.