Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

I don't understand how to patch the EC

X230-X280, X390 Series
JLantz

I don't understand how to patch the EC

#1 Post by JLantz » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:56 am

I'm working on removing the battery check from my X230.

The Hamish guide does not make sense to me. I have never used Linux. I have exhausted my search attempts and am frustrated.

Is there a way to patch the EC using Windows?

skx
Sophomore Member

Re: I don't understand how to patch the EC

#2 Post by skx » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:01 pm

https://github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec

What's not to understand? It is step by step documented. Or do you struggle with Linux and command line?

Learn Linux, you will have to one day! Install in your w10 Debian WSL2 Linux, should be the easiest way for non Linux users... Embrace Linux or settle with the downsides of being a Microsoft users :D
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

JLantz

#3 Post by JLantz » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:32 pm

Yes, that is the Hamish github page I was referencing. It is not straight forward step-by-step for someone that does not have those skills. It is written for people that already know.

I've never had to use Linux in 31 years of using pc. If it is the only way to patch the EC, I will learn just enough to make that happen.

I don't understand what these lines mean, or where to enter them, or ???? I just don't know.

Example:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wget build-essential git mtools libssl-dev

JLantz

#4 Post by JLantz » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:38 pm

Hamish guide says:

"This software expects to be run under Linux (real Linux, not Microsoft Windows Linux subsystem).".....doesn't your w10 Debian WSL2 Linux conflict this?

atagunov

#5 Post by atagunov » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:41 pm

JLantz wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:32 pm
I don't understand what these lines mean, or where to enter them, or ???? I just don't know.

Example:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wget build-essential git mtools libssl-dev
Hi,

1) sure friend; please walk through one step and at a time and ask here if you get stuck or confused; we'll help you out

2) it would be nice to have an SSD in that X230 with a sensible flavour of Linux on it; I'm an Ubuntu fanboy, and I believe it's actually the easiest out there for a new person to deal with; how did this step go? have got Ubuntu runnin? have you got another flavour of Linux running?

3) the commands above are to be given at "command prompt", "command prompt" is what you get in windows if you run "cmd" command; on windows it's typically a black window with white text in it; in Ubuntu you press "windows" key, type "terminal" into the search window and use mouse to click an icon with a black window; you should get a window with "command prompt"; this is actually a very potent tool under Linux; it allows you to do lots of useful things - including working with this thinkpad-ec project
JLantz wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:38 pm
Hamish guide says:

"This software expects to be run under Linux (real Linux, not Microsoft Windows Linux subsystem).".....doesn't your w10 Debian WSL2 Linux conflict this?
It's possible to have Linux and Windows installed side-by-side on the same machine. Windows would use some of the partitions on your hard drive and Linux would use others. Then once you boot you get a choice of which one to run. But it's easier not to do it. Have you got a spare SSD? Have you got a 2nd computer to read the instructions and talk on the forum? Can you talk to us via a mobile phone instead? My advice is to remove whatever SSD/HDD is there in the machine currently and replace it with that SSD which doesn't have any useful info on it. Then do a quick Ubuntu installation on that SSD; once you're done patching EC you can re-use that SSD for whatever you like; doesn't have to be big, Ubuntu should take rather little space. If your current SSD doesn't have useful info, if it doesn't have a Windows installation that you would like to retain then just use that - let Ubuntu installer wipe it out and install Ubuntu there.
Last edited by atagunov on Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X220, 2 *T520

skx
Sophomore Member

#6 Post by skx » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:48 pm

JLantz wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:38 pm
Hamish guide says:

All these commands shown are perfectly working under Linux WSL2. The actual flashing of your EC is done via booting from USB. But yeah, normal linux should be better of course.
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

atagunov

#7 Post by atagunov » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:49 pm

skx wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:48 pm
All these commands shown are perfectly working under Linux WSL2. The actual flashing of your EC is done via booting from USB.
Sounds interesting. Never tried it. So what would OP need to do? I'm also interested how to do this under WSL2. So would apt-get work too?
X220, 2 *T520

skx
Sophomore Member

#8 Post by skx » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:51 pm

atagunov wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:49 pm
skx wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:48 pm
All these commands shown are perfectly working under Linux WSL2. The actual flashing of your EC is done via booting from USB.
Sounds interesting. Never tried it. So what would OP need to do? I'm also interested how to do this under WSL2. So would apt-get work too?
Sure, look on how to install Debian from the w10 store, it mentions the full guide to start with WSL2 etc... You will end up with full cli (no GUI) Debian stable running on w10.

Other solution for none Linux users is using a live boot USB. But please embrace Linux and start loving it, it will become the standard for normal personal computing in the coming years

https://winaero.com/blog/wp-content/upl ... wsl2-_.png

Example found on internet of how it will look. I use it a lot on work W10 laptop. Dont have own machines running windows :D It s full Debian Linux running as an app inside your W10

JLantz

#9 Post by JLantz » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:41 pm

Yes, I understand and use command prompt occasionally in Windows. I did not know Linux uses it.
I do not want to install Linux on any of my machines. It is pointless to me aside from getting this EC patch to work.

So, If I have this right, I can:
-Use my T440p main rig to create a "Live boot" usb.
-Boot Linux, then use its version of command prompt to enter the commands and follow instructions as shown by Hamish to create the usb image to use on my X230.

This is throwing me off:
"1. Ensure you have installed the prerequisite packages On Debian, this can be done with:"
and
"On Fedora, you could install it with dnf:"

Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, WSL2?????

skx
Sophomore Member

#10 Post by skx » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:55 pm

You spend more time in cursing about Linux, meanwhile whining that you cannot figure out thinkpad-ec. Maybe Linux is useless for people like you who can't f*ck¡ng spend 30min reading guidelines. And it is called Terminal, it is the main tool for managing your Linux system, the GUI is secondary part not even needed. The terminal outperforms Microsoft's powershell and cmd combined!

Linux is all about freedom. The are 3 main distro families with their own package manager. Select one, go for Debian as mentioned here if too lazy to read and follow step by step without overthinking as it is clear you dont understand Linux and even do no want to understand Linux

JLantz

#11 Post by JLantz » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:03 pm

There is no need to insult me.

I have spent a lot of time trying to figure this out on my own. Linux does not make sense to me as a lifetime windows user.

skx
Sophomore Member

#12 Post by skx » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:23 pm

JLantz wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:03 pm

I have spent a lot of time trying to figure this out on my own. Linux does not make sense to me as a lifetime windows user.
there is zero insulting, you just need to show intention to actually be willing to learn or pay someone in your surroundings to do the task for you. it is this black or white, posting on a forum without added value wont change an inch to your current situation.

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-u ... 1-overview

follow this spoonfeeding guide to create a Ubuntu live boot usb. ubuntu being the most newbie friendly distro. as soon as you have the live usb, report back

atagunov

#13 Post by atagunov » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:15 pm

JLantz wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:03 pm
Indeed there is not. I'm embarrassed by the behaviour or our fellow forum member. Shall we peg it down to possible youth? :)
JLantz wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:41 pm
This is throwing me off:
"1. Ensure you have installed the prerequisite packages On Debian, this can be done with:"
and
"On Fedora, you could install it with dnf:"
And you're right to be thrown off by this. I think we have the following options:

1) grab a spare SSD and indeed install Linux there
JLantz wrote:
I do not want to install Linux on any of my machines. It is pointless to me aside from getting this EC patch to work.
I certainly understand this. However my feeling is that - if you actually do have a spare SSD - this may be the fastest and least painful way to get EC patch to work.

My own experience installing Windows was that it has always been a bit of a hassle and it never took less than half a day. Well I'm very pleased to say that installing Ubuntu has been radically better for me. It takes less than an hour and you get a fully working machine, at least on X220 or T520. I believe it will be the same on X230. It is indeed rather quick and simple. You will need a USB flash card for installer and an SSD which you can afford to wipe out.

Apart from option (1) - install Linux temporarily there are other options, though I somehow like them less

2) apparently these days there is a way to supplement your Windows installation with a Linux installation right inside it; I've been using Linux since around 2000 but I never tried that; this is new; this is what skx was suggesting. The name of this technology is apparently WSL2: adding a bit of Linux to Windows. I'm a software developer comfortable with both operating systems; I may try it at some point. However I'm not sure if this is a good option for you: you would end up installing more stuff inside Windows and you will not be using it later at all; in my experience uninstalling is a flimsy thing and you usually have some leftovers hanging around in the system. Besides I personally will not be able to guide you here; I've never done it. Yet it is a possible option.

3) you might try to do it all with Live USB; exactly like you said
JLantz wrote:
-Use my T440p main rig to create a "Live boot" usb.
-Boot Linux, then use its version of command prompt to enter the commands and follow instructions as shown by Hamish to create the usb image to use on my X230.
You will boot a fully functional Linux this way. It looks counter-intuitive but I think you actually may be able to install packages into that live USB. I don't remember if the changes that you make persist if you decide to boot from it again. It may work. It may be very similar to doing the whole process on a properly installed Linux. I'm not 100% sure however.. May or may not work. You would be installing more software into that live USB. That USB is probably writeable and you probably can install software.. And you need to install software to make it work.. I tried doing something like that before.. But I'm not 100% sure.

If you do have a spare SSD then option (1) may be an easier route. You create exactly the same USB and install from it. That takes maybe extra 20 minutes.
JLantz wrote:
Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, WSL2?????
Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu are all different "flavours" of Linux, different "distributions". Live and installation USB is the same thing normally I think, there are just two options when you boot from it. So before you make this Live/installation USB you need to choose which Linux you will be putting on it: Debian, Fedora or Ubuntu (or some other flavour). Debian is a community effort. Ubuntu is some corporate polish put on top of Debian. Commands that work in Debian normally work in Ubuntu as well. To my shame I don't know what Fedora is, but it's a different distribution of Linux. My view is that Ubuntu is the easiest to deal with but this may be a sensitive topic to Linux lovers, other people may have different opinions. For me it will be easier to give advices if you choose Ubuntu, that's what I've been using for a significant portion of my life.

WSL2 is the name of Microsoft technology that allows you to add a bit of Linux to Windows.
X220, 2 *T520

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#14 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:18 am

I agree that a spare HDD/SSD is by far the easiest solution.
That's what I did when I installed the EC-patch on my X230.
Installed Debian Jesse on a spare SSD, followed instructions and finished it all within an hour.
The SSD I used is gathering dust somewhere in a drawer.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#15 Post by dr_st » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:34 am

skx wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:55 pm
You spend more time in cursing about Linux, meanwhile whining that you cannot figure out thinkpad-ec. Maybe Linux is useless for people like you who can't f*ck¡ng spend 30min reading guidelines. And it is called Terminal, it is the main tool for managing your Linux system, the GUI is secondary part not even needed. The terminal outperforms Microsoft's powershell and cmd combined!
I didn't see him "curse" about Linux, as much as I see you push it in every thread, whether warranted or not. I would appreciate if you toned it down a little bit. We get it - you love Linux, you think it's the answer to all problems, you strongly dislike Microsoft and their software, and you think that anyone who willingly uses Windows is a sheep or a doofus. We don't need every thread to become a Linux ad.
skx wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:55 pm
Linux is all about freedom. The are 3 main distro families with their own package manager. Select one, go for Debian as mentioned here if too lazy to read and follow step by step without overthinking as it is clear you dont understand Linux and even do no want to understand Linux
He said very clearly:
JLantz wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:32 pm
I've never had to use Linux in 31 years of using pc. If it is the only way to patch the EC, I will learn just enough to make that happen.
I think it is a very reasonable attitude.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

skx
Sophomore Member

#16 Post by skx » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:02 am

He said:
JLantz wrote:

With this, what do you want to achieve? I want A but I dont want B to achieve A? I added all important info to have him moving in to the right direction. But simplified explained it came to this: I want to travel to Australia but I dont want to use a plane. Thats a bit the tone of this topic so far.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#17 Post by dr_st » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:23 am

If I needed to patch the EC, I also would not install Linux on my system. I would use a Live USB, which you also suggested. I don't see the problem.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

skx
Sophomore Member

#18 Post by skx » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:04 pm

Ok, so lets wait until he confirms he has some kind of linux flavour booting, whether it is live boot usb, wsl2 or full linux install to guide him further!