Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

x230 Mobo malfunction?

X230-X280, X390 Series
Matteone

x230 Mobo malfunction?

#1 Post by Matteone » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:56 pm

I was running my X230 on an external display preparing and troubleshooting before installing the nitrocaster mod again. I desoldered it before because the FHD display was not working and I planned to redo the solder job. The machine was working fine and booted. I was able to enter Bios with an external display attached to the VGA port.

Before I was trying to use the original Lenovo Display without the mod. One IPS Display that I knew was broken unfortunately did not work but backlight was on and the still intact part was showing grey output. The other one was not broken(?), need to test with another machine. But only showed grey/white output all over the screen. Backlight was on but I did not see the bootscreen or anything else. Then I attached the external display, de-attached the original display and was able to boot normal and check bios etc. At one moment I got the glory idea to see if the old LVDS display maybe works now. Because all was laying open and without display on my table. I was using an external display, keyboard and mouse... was browsing the BIOS at the external screen... and I did not recognize the machine was still running and I plugged my LVDS cable in and now I am [censored]. Even without RAM no beep from the little baby. I can start it, fan is running, but no beeps and no display (internal or external). Even no external display!

How can I bring back my machine?

One odd thing is that without CMOS battery it was working before but now the machine does not start without CMOS battery. When the CMOS is not connected the green light at the start button is glowing for 1sec and that's it. When I use CMOS battery the machine is starting but the fan gets quite noisy after several seconds. Green LED stays on. It seems like the machine is still alive. But where to look? What to do to revive that baby? How can I check the Mobo if some fuse or something is blown?

Double post from "Upgrading X220/X230 to FHD 1080p", locked.