Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Docking station SSD issue

X230-X280, X390 Series
arvacon

Docking station SSD issue

#1 Post by arvacon » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:38 pm

Hi.
I have the x230 and the 4338 docking station with the esata support. When you connect a normal hdd via the esata of the docking station, everything work as it should be, the system can see the disk and you can transfer or read files from the disk. When you connect an SSD, the system can't see it and if you leave it connected, it may crash the windows giving them BSOD or make them stop responding. If you unplug it, the system comes back to normal state.
If you power off the laptop, connect the ssd with esata and turn it on, bios stays at the first screen that says lenovo for long time, and after 2-3-4 minutes it may be boot into windows, but it still can't see the SSD.
Is there any solution for this problem?
Are they any special drivers for the docking station? I have searched at lenovo's site but didn't find something.
Has anyone else experienced something similar?

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: Docking station SSD issue

#2 Post by dr_st » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:53 pm

How many different SSDs have you tried that exhibited these symptoms?
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

arvacon

#3 Post by arvacon » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:42 pm

dr_st wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:53 pm
How many different SSDs have you tried that exhibited these symptoms?
Thanks for your reply. After your comment I unpacked a brand new Patriot Burst ssd and it works like a charm with that one.
The one that I was doing the experiments before, is an adata SU650, that it is almost new and in good working order, but for some reason it seems that it is not compatible with the docking station. Maybe its controller is not compatible with the esata controller of the docking station? Who knows...

arvacon

#4 Post by arvacon » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:22 pm

It seems I was in a hurry when I posted before. Although it is working ok with the Patriot ssd, there are a few small details that it is worth to mention. The first is that if you boot when the disk is connected, you will noticed that it stucks at thinkpad logo for 1min and 10 secs without reason. Another weird thing is that during booting windows, when it was almost ready to start, it shut down suddenly. I tried again but this time it didn't turn off, but instead it is loading windows for ever and finally it restarted. If I remove the disk, it boots fine, so I connect the ssd after booting and it can work this way.
Maybe there is something wrong with the intel rapid storage driver. I use the 12.9.0.1001 chipset driver and the IRST app is of 2013. I tried update them but it seems that the last ones doesn't support this chipset. Is there any other newer driver for this laptop?

Something else is, that if you don't enable at bios I/O settings, both esata and ultra bay devices (although this docking has not ultra bay socket), the system can't see any disk, hdd or ssd, so you must remember to enable both settings. Go figure...

PS: I forgot to mention also, that when you try to safely remove the disk from the taskbar button, it says you are safe to remove it, but after 1 second it is connecting again and the explorer opens, so there is no way to disconnect it safely, other than just hot unplug.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:48 am

AFAIK an eSATA port needs an eSATA drive, or a SATA drive in an eSATA caddy/adapter.
With SATA to eSATA, the SATA does not get power (and needs an external power supply), hence your problem.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
IBM: T23 (XP/SP3) - Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, M900 Tiny (all with W7/SP1)

arvacon

#6 Post by arvacon » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:50 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:48 am
AFAIK an eSATA port needs an eSATA drive, or a SATA drive in an eSATA caddy/adapter.
With SATA to eSATA, the SATA does not get power (and needs an external power supply), hence your problem.
I connect the disks via esata to sata cable and I use external power supply for the disks, so there is not any power problem here. This power supply is from a sata to usb adapter, so it is made for disks.
Something else is the problem.
When i connect the disk after the windows have been load, the system recognise it, it opens the explorer window straight away and I can copy paste files like a usb flash drive. The speed is also good, around 450MB/s read and 300MB/s write.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#7 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:55 am

How are those drives formatted, just as FAT32 or NTFS and without any OS?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
IBM: T23 (XP/SP3) - Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, M900 Tiny (all with W7/SP1)

arvacon

#8 Post by arvacon » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:28 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:55 am
How are those drives formatted, just as FAT32 or NTFS and without any OS?
NTFS and they are both empty. I tried something else today, I disabled the fast startup setting on windows power options and it seems that it boot now with the patriot ssd, although it still has a delay at thinkpad logo bios screen, but at least it doesn't give bsod now.
I tried again the adata ssd but nothing changed. With the normal hard disks, it boots just fine and working ok, except of the safe disconnect function that it is loop to connect it again by itself.