Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X230 Tablet Repair Faulty Airplane Mode Switch?

X230-X280, X390 Series
spbelfer

X230 Tablet Repair Faulty Airplane Mode Switch?

#1 Post by spbelfer » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:37 am

I have a rescue X230 Tablet that I bought as "spares or repairs", freshened up and brought back to life. Everything now works except the Airplane Mode hardware switch seems unreliable. It always works in the radios-off position, disabling wi-fi and bluetooth, but in the radios-on position airplane mode comes and goes seemingly at random.

I suspect its contacts are worn or some solder needs reflowing. Is this a common problem? I'm contemplating trying to fix it by resoldering but I'm no electronics engineer and there's always the risk I'll do more harm than good. It would give me confidence to know people have fixed the same problem before me and had success! I'd be happy enough to short the switch so airplane mode could only be enabled through windows, regardless of the switch position, as it's not something I need a physical slider for.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: X230 Tablet Repair Faulty Airplane Mode Switch?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:55 am

Welcome to the Forum.
Finding a replacement switch is almost impossible.
Many people have solved that problem by taking out the faulty switch and just soldering the 2 contacts together for permanently ON.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

spbelfer

Re: X230 Tablet Repair Faulty Airplane Mode Switch?

#3 Post by spbelfer » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:04 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:55 am
Many people have solved that problem by taking out the faulty switch and just soldering the 2 contacts together for permanently ON.
That's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to hear. Thank you!