Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Why is Bluetooth (BT) choppy on X230T ?

X230-X280, X390 Series
E350

Why is Bluetooth (BT) choppy on X230T ?

#1 Post by E350 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:16 pm

I ran Ivyprep and 1vyrain to replace the oem BIOS with the wifi network card whitelist. Everything went fine.
I replaced the BT daughter card with a 4.0 card.
I replaced the network card with a Intel AC 7260 HMW card, and now can transceive 5GHz as well as 2.4GHz wifi.
But the Bluetooth is "choppy" so much so that I cannot listen to it out of our BT speakers or BT connected hifi.
I know the "choppiness" is due to the BT transmission, because if I listen to the X230T's internal speakers or through a 3.5mm hardwired earbud, there is no choppiness.

I noticed that when the iPhone is cabled to the X230T and I am running a personal hotspot through it instead of the wifi card, that the bluetooth is not choppy.
So it seems like the wifi card is interfering with the BT.

The Intel AC 7260 HMW card has BT on the card. I don't know if the BT signal is being directed through it or through the daughter card.

I replaced the Intel AC 7260 HMW card with a Mini PCI-E WiFi 6E Wireless Card MPE-AXE3000H Tri-Band 802.11AX BT5.2 PC Adapter yesterday and the BT choppiness problem persists and is identical to the BT choppiness with the Intel AC 7260 HMW.

I have done this modification on many X61 and T61p and even on a X201T with excellent results, but on the X230T I just can't get the Bluetooth to work properly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Why is Bluetooth (BT) choppy on X230T ?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:35 am

Either remove the BT daughtercard or disable BT on the wifi-card.
You can't have both.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

E350

Re: Why is Bluetooth (BT) choppy on X230T ?

#3 Post by E350 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:03 am

Bingo! RBS in for the win!

Just minutes before I read your post, I used Device Manager under Bluetooth to disable both "ThinkPad Bluetooth 4.0" and "Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)"
Then restarted the computer and enabled "Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)"
And as you state, it works perfectly.
Additionally the AX card which you recommended has BT 5.2 on it, which is newer than the BT 4.0 on the daughter card.

Thank you RBS!