Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ThinkPad x260 - 1080p Screen Replacement Log (BOE NV125FHM-N41)

X230-X280, X390 Series
Skipple

ThinkPad x260 - 1080p Screen Replacement Log (BOE NV125FHM-N41)

#1 Post by Skipple » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:30 pm

I am the owner of a new-to-me x260. While I love the form factor of the laptop, one of the downsides to the model I purchased was the terrible 720p TN panel.

The biggest issue I have found with upgrading the screen is actually locating a decent panel and not a Shenzhen warehouse "compatible" replacement. Almost every model number on eBay is flooded with listings that are generic knock-offs. You have to be super careful, because it's not readily apparent when looking at the listings. Down in the description they note "Model XYZ or similar compatible model". Sorry, I'm not about to drop $100 for a panel that may or may not have vastly different specifications.

I ended up purchasing a used BOE NV125FHM-N41 from eBay. I wasn't able to find any particular information about this panel online as to it's compatibility with the X2X0 series laptops, however. Regardless, the pane was stupid cheap, ($35 shipped) so I wasn't overly concerned if it didn't work. The measurements seemed to align according to panelook.com, although that website can't always be relied upon to be 100% accurate.

From what I can tell, this panel is intended for a Dell Latitude 12 7000 series laptop. The first action was to remove the existing panel mounts. These could be snipped off with a bit of force.

They had to be snipped right down to the panel in order to fit. Once removed, the panel was basically a drop in replacement. It fit as perfectly as a panel could. I took this opportunity to also replace the faulty power and camera cable as well, which I believe was causing me issues with randomly hard powering off.

All closed up, ready to be my "on the go" laptop for a few years.

All in, this laptop cost me around $140.
  • X260 - from eBay auction, $45 shipped
  • Knock off 72wh battery from Amazon, $40
  • 1080p panel replacement, $35
  • Intel AX210 for 802.11ax support, $19
  • Replacement webcam/power button cable, $8
Specs:
  • Intel i7-6600u, undervolted around -85mV
  • 8GB 2133mHz DDR4 RAM
  • Generic 500GB SATA SSD
  • Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS