Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad X250 - Computer turns off when I open the lid after 10 seconds

X230-X280, X390 Series
piggybackbandit

Thinkpad X250 - Computer turns off when I open the lid after 10 seconds

#1 Post by piggybackbandit » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:35 am

I recently got a Thinkpad X250, and I am enjoying it, but I am experiencing that is annoying.

Whenever I close the laptop for 10 seconds , and try to open it again, it seems to shut off as I open it. It will remain if I don't move it, but will shut off if I do move it.

There is no exact angle as to when this happens , but anything around 45 degrees or less seems to trigger it. I have less than 10 seconds to open it back up before it shuts off.

I experience this whether I'm booted into my OS ( in this case Arch Linux ) or the BIOS. So I don't think its a software issue.

Also, whether or not the external battery is plugged in is irrelevant, it does the same thing. Same case with having the AC charger plugged in.

Anyone have any advice on how to proceed or what might be causing this?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Thinkpad X250 - Computer turns off when I open the lid after 10 seconds

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:55 am

Give it some more time!
Why close it if you're gonna open it again so soon?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

piggybackbandit

#3 Post by piggybackbandit » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:59 am

Well, its not like I can't wait any additional time to prevent this issue from happening. The problem is after those 10 seconds, I can't open it without turning it off. For example, if I leave it closed for 5 minutes and try to open it again, it will turn off. Once its been closed for 10 seconds or greater, it will essentially need to be shut down.

This is an issue because not being able to close your laptop and carry it around when you need to is quite annoying. it isn't enough for me to abandon it, but enough for me to want to try and repair it instead of ignoring it.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:06 pm

Option 1: don't close it when you change locations.
Option 2: switch it off before you change locations.

piggybackbandit

#5 Post by piggybackbandit » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:29 pm

Lol I've already thought of that. I'd like to fix this problem to go away.

If you are being sarcastic for some reason then there is no point of responding. I'd like to have this problem go away , not function around it. I couldn't find anything online relating to what I was experiencing, so I am seeking advice here.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:36 pm

Check this:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=284466
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Power_ ... _hibernate

I also have an X250 (running W7), closing the lid just puts it to sleep.
If the reed switch is defective, you need to replace the power-cable, such as this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002284369160.html
Also check if the magnet is missing or dislocated.
https://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=128563

piggybackbandit

#7 Post by piggybackbandit » Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:49 am

Okay.. I fixed it but it was kind of a wild story.

So I saw the links you posted, suggesting it could be an issue with the webcam. I thought , before I go ripping it open and possibly swapping out the webcam cable, I could at least try putting tape of the webcam to see if that would affect it.

I did so and then the laptop wouldn't turn at all. With or without the charging cable plugged in. I then panicked and try to fix this and ended up find this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNd9XAAYNqE. The man in the video had me remove the laptop battery, remove the back panel, and disconnect the power cable connecting the mother board and the internal battery. Then , he plugged in the AC cord to power it on. This fixed that issue.

After this my initial issue was resolved, but then I had a new issue. The screen would go blank depending on how I angled. My intuition told me it had to with either a cable connecting the screen to the laptop.

I found a cable going to the screen (what I believe is the webcam cable based on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=Eht7A6SbA8U). I noticed if I pulled on it in a given direction it would keep the screen up and lit no matter how I angled it.

I got it to a good angle where it stayed on and then I super glued it down :lol: . Very DIY but is definitely a good solution for the time being. The long term solution would be to replace the entire webcam cable from the computer.

Despite the sarcastic remarks earlier RedBlackStuff, you ended sending me in the right direction inevitably! Thank you for your assistance! :bow:

I circled the cable in red that I ended up pulling (to the left in this case) and super gluing to fix the monitor.