Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X230 trackpoint, mouse buttons and some keys still not working after keyboard change

X230-X280, X390 Series
frog4

X230 trackpoint, mouse buttons and some keys still not working after keyboard change

#1 Post by frog4 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:24 pm

I recently changed a faulty jack socket on my Thinkpad X230. After reassembling everything, when I booted the laptop and got to the power-on password prompt, a character was being inputted constantly without me pressing any keys. I rebooted several times but the same thing happened. I then disconnected the keyboard and used a USB bluetooth keyboard to enter the power-on password and get back into my OS.

When I reconnected the keyboard, I found on testing that only a small section of keys were working. The trackpoint and the mouse buttons also didn't work. I guessed there might be an issue with the keyboard ribbon and/or connector, which seemed to be confirmed (using a magnifying glass) after seeing that a few of the little prongs on the connector were slightly bent. The solution seemed to be to just get a new keyboard.

Unfortunately, after doing this, I still found that the trackpoint and mouse buttons didn't work. Nearly all the keys worked, with some seemingly random exceptions (for example, the shift key didn't work with a few keys). I then borrowed another X230 keyboard from somewhere and had a similar result: the trackpoint and mouse buttons didn't work, but most of the keys did.

My thought then was that the issue must be with where the keyboard connects to the motherboard. Using the magnifying glass again, I couldn't find any obvious signs of damage, but gave the area a clean with isopropyl alcohol. Sadly, this didn't make any difference.

Is it likely the laptop motherboard is damaged or could there be another explanation for this? (loose connection somewhere or something). The original keyboard worked fine until I changed the jack socket.

Thanks for any advice.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: X230 trackpoint, mouse buttons and some keys still not working after keyboard change

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:45 am

Please explain "jack socket".
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

frog4

Re: X230 trackpoint, mouse buttons and some keys still not working after keyboard change

#3 Post by frog4 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:22 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:45 am
Please explain "jack socket".
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant to say the DC power jack charging socket.