Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad w530 behaving strange after a motherboard swap

W530/W540/W541/W550 Series
Blataman

Thinkpad w530 behaving strange after a motherboard swap

#1 Post by Blataman » Tue May 28, 2024 12:09 am

Hey guys, first time poster here. I swapped the motherboard of my Thinkpad w530 to one with K2000M graphics (previously I only had K1000M). The installation itself went smoothly but as soon as I booted back into windows I noticed that my touchpad and trackpoint aren't working (the rest of the keyboard works fine, in fact I'm typing this post on it). I wanted to update drivers but lenovo software won't recognise the computer now. I used the HMD tool to change S/N back to the original however that still doesn't fix the problem. Reinstalling windows also didn't help. I find it strange that other than those problems the computer seems to be working fine. Do you guys have any idea how I could fix this? Maybe I missed something with the HMD tool? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks :)

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Thinkpad w530 behaving strange after a motherboard swap

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue May 28, 2024 12:47 am

If you have not got it yet, download the W530 HMM manual from the HMM link at the top of this page.
Remove/lift up the keyboard, then check that the flat cable from the touchpad has been properly inserted.
See first picture on HMM page 87.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Blataman

#3 Post by Blataman » Tue May 28, 2024 1:05 am

I tried that already a couple of times but it didn't help. It felt like normal everytime i put it in but still no change

Blataman

#4 Post by Blataman » Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:46 pm

For anyone curious, it absolutely was the touchpad connector, I have just been attaching it wrong because I'm stupid. Tried disabling the touchpad in bios and suddenly trackpoint started working. Tried reseating the touchpad connector again and enabling it in bios again and now it works. Also upgraded to W11 and that fixed the driver errors. Thank you again for the help RealBlackStuff.