Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Disable Lid Close Sensor?

W530/W540/W541/W550 Series
jalaska13

Disable Lid Close Sensor?

#1 Post by jalaska13 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:22 am

Hi All,

My lid close sensor has been on the fritz lately. I disabled sleep-on-close in my OS, and that worked. However, when I have the laptop asleep, sometimes the sensor will still spuriously trigger, and the BIOS will take it as a signal to wake the computer up. This means that I often take my laptop out of my backpack and it is scalding hot and the battery is totally dead. I tried disabling the sensor entirely in the BIOS settings, but I couldn't find an option to do it. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

hhhd1

Re: Disable Lid Close Sensor?

#2 Post by hhhd1 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:48 am

i guess you can physically remove it, you can probably remove only one of the sides, either the one on the lcd frame, or the part on the palm rest.

it is usually on the left.
===

jalaska13

#3 Post by jalaska13 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:53 am

hhhd1 wrote:i guess you can physically remove it, you can probably remove only one of the sides, either the one on the lcd frame, or the part on the palm rest.

it is usually on the left.
Yeah, I'd thought of that, but I'd prefer to avoid that if at all possible. I'll do it as a last resort.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:29 pm

It makes no sense to put a laptop to sleep, and then pack it in a closed environment, such as a backpack.
That is plain asking for problems.
Switch it off before you pack it!
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

jalaska13

#5 Post by jalaska13 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:49 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:It makes no sense to put a laptop to sleep, and then pack it in a closed environment, such as a backpack.
That is plain asking for problems.
Switch it off before you pack it!
What makes you say that? People put laptops to sleep for carrying all the time - close the lid, go to class, open the lid again, laptop wakes up (except that in my case, this normal workflow doesn't work, as explained above, but it's the same general idea).

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:37 pm

There are several more posts on the forum, complaining about the same sleep/heat/battery problem.
Nowadays a decent laptop (with SSD) should boot in 20 seconds or less.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

jalaska13

#7 Post by jalaska13 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:49 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:There are several more posts on the forum, complaining about the same sleep/heat/battery problem.
Nowadays a decent laptop (with SSD) should boot in 20 seconds or less.
Yes, but I would like to save work (workspaces, open files with unsaved changes, etc). Just giving and saying "don't sleep your computer" is kind of a cop out.

hhhd1

#8 Post by hhhd1 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:47 pm

If the laptop is in hibernate mode, it will not power-on when the lid is opened.
===

jalaska13

#9 Post by jalaska13 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:03 pm

hhhd1 wrote:If the laptop is in hibernate mode, it will not power-on when the lid is opened.
Unfortunately I've had issues hibernating because I use full-disk encryption, and I've been so far unable to get it to play nicely with hibernating (this is on Linux).

n2ri
Sophomore Member

#10 Post by n2ri » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:01 pm

win 10 only sleeps, no shutdown option allowed as Microsoft wants access to your PC remote anytime. sleep is easiest way to do that. hibernate also but more time. another reason i ditched win10 (it also uses your web cam/mic same way besides for login)

hhhd1

#11 Post by hhhd1 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:17 pm

Well .. it would be nice if there is a way to make the computer reacts to closing the lid only by sleeping, and do nothing when the lid is re-opened.

Old laptops used to do it that way.
===

Tim-ANC
Freshman Member

#12 Post by Tim-ANC » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:40 pm

n2ri wrote:win 10 only sleeps, no shutdown option allowed as Microsoft wants access to your PC remote anytime. sleep is easiest way to do that. hibernate also but more time. another reason i ditched win10 (it also uses your web cam/mic same way besides for login)
Really, you can't shut down a Win10 machine? I have not received the update yet and up until this moment, it perturbed me.
Tim

W530 T500 T410 T60

hellosailor

#13 Post by hellosailor » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:31 pm

Sorry guys, but Win10 does indeed offer both Hibernate and Sleep options. IIRC I had to do something besides press "Accept" to get the Hibernate installed, but it is available.

And I've routinely packed my machines away in Sleep mode while traveling, with no problems and no heat evident. A computer that is truly sleeping, with the options like "Maintain power to USB ports while napping?" turned off? Isn't going to overheat. Although I haven't trekked through Death Valley with one, every other time and place, it has been stone cold while sleeping.

If you have one overheating...you've got something consuming more power than you want to lose while it is sleeping!

I'd pop the frame off the display, tickle around with a paper clip until I found the magic magnet or hall effect sensor, and just remove it if necessary. Not elegant, but no big deal. Considering how often Lenovo has screwed up the power management settings, there are things to be said about a simple hardware mod.
"The only good silicon life form, is a dead silicon life form." [Will Rogers]
-- Harboring a retired T61P with Vista/U/32 and housebreaking a younger W530 foolishly upgraded from Win7/64 to Win10.