Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

W530 Overheating and Power Issues after Power Surge

W530/W540/W541/W550 Series
RoryF

W530 Overheating and Power Issues after Power Surge

#1 Post by RoryF » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:08 am

Hello all,

I have a W530 running windows 7 and I am experiencing some overheating and power issues. Last night I plugged a powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub, rated for 5V and 3A, into one of the USB 3.0 ports on the laptop. The power supply was rated for 5V and 2A and was very cheap. Windows tried to install drivers but then an error popped up saying there was a power surge on the USB port. I did what any logical person would have done and tried plugging it into a different port. The same warning popped up. The laptop and USB ports seem to be working OK (I'm using them now), but the battery drains rapidly and the area around the firewire port is very hot. I left my laptop unplugged last night and the battery drained almost completely and the ports were still warm this morning. I tried to disassemble the laptop last night and see if there was any obvious damage to the motherboard but I couldn't get it off right. I turned off access to the firewire port through BIOS but I am experiencing the same issues.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any information about repairing the laptop or limiting the damage from the short.

RoryF

Re: W530 Overheating and Power Issues after Power Surge

#2 Post by RoryF » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:58 am

Just wanted to update on this.

The problem has solved itself.

I kept using the laptop even though it was overheating, and then it stopped overheating. I guess it might have acted like a fuse, and when it got hot enough whatever was causing the short melted (not sure if it actually got THAT hot). I might have shaken something loose when I was carrying it in my backpack. All of the ports work too.