Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Critical Battery Low - W530, while plugged in..

W530/W540/W541/W550 Series

Critical Battery Low - W530, while plugged in..

#1 Post by 735 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:16 pm

Hello,

I have a W530 that I bought new in 2013, it has served me very well, as a backup laptop - I love this machine so much that I keep it as a non-daily driver, I use it for "special events" to keep it in A+++ condition ;)

Recently, I wanted to upgrade the 3G to LTE, so I did the 1vyrain firmware hack, all of that went perfect. I was able to replace the 3G with an LTE card, and upgrade to the Intel ac wireless, fantastic..

Here now, is the question.. I started getting "critical battery, shutting down" alerts - BEFORE the 1vyrain update (so it's absolutely not related to that), while I was plugged into a 170W adapter, with a perfectly good 3 month old 9 cell battery in 99% health condition. It even does it with the slice battery (also perfect 101% health) while on AC. At first I thought it was related to CPU, it does it even when everything is close to idle, 40-45C temp on proc, and zero GPU load.

Basically when this happens, a "critical low" error is logged in the system event log, the window pops up saying "critical, battery low 0%" and then 2-3 seconds later, it disappears and all is well.

You can run the Intel Extreme "stress test" on this for hours and it won't happen, but then out of nowhere it will do it without any strain on the machine. I have noticed that it will do it on two different power bricks, a 135W and a 170W, so it's not related to that either.

I am running Windows 10 for Workstations, and have the following spec:

i7 3740qm
4 x 8GB Hynix 12800S, not L
2 x Samsung PM863 960G SSD, one in Ultrabay, one internal
1 x LTE MC7710 WWAN
1 x AC7260 intel wifi
K1000M Quadro

I cannot say that this happened after "some event" in the last weeks' upgrades, but I can say that it is getting more and more annoying as it's happening three-four times a day. I managed to disable the Windows "critical battery" action -> suspend, so I can live with it, but I suspect that something will burn out eventually and I'll be looking for a motherboard.

If this is a motherboard situation, I'd rather buy one and replace it before I end up with no laptop as these days I'm heavily depending on this machine, stuck in a quarantine zone away from my HQ.. I have a backup X250 but I'd rather not have to work on that daily if I can avoid it..

Regards to ivyrain, I did the ivprep before running the ISO, and I'm at 2.76 BIOS now
LENOVO G5ETB6WW (2.76 ), 9/9/2019

I can't even express how much I love this machine, really. Even if we have to replace the motherboard I will find one and handle it if need be.

Thank you in advance for your assistance
Chris

Re: Critical Battery Low - W530, while plugged in..

#2 Post by 735 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:00 pm

SOLVED!! viewtopic.php?f=48&t=96275&start=30

TPfancontrol - I installed this on April 10th, the day before I did the 1vyrain firmware ;)
Checked my event viewer, all this started happening the night of the 10th...

Windows 10 apparently has a "forced installation" of the Lenovo Power Manager driver, which conflicts with TPFC...

Hope this helps someone else with a similar issue
Thanks