Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad w540 gpu and BIOS issues

W530/W540/W550 series specific matters only
Znowu

Thinkpad w540 gpu and BIOS issues

#1 Post by Znowu » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:09 pm

Hello

A few days ago I did a Bios update by lenovo update center. It was just after I restored my win 10 to default settings. After that my gpu (Nvidia Quadro k2100) just disappeared, i can't find it anywhere, (dev manager, dx diag, also i BIOS. Ofc i have to try install drivers, also reinstall intel gpu drivers and most of the tips how to solve this.
So i have decided to downgrade BIOS (right now is 2.41). I have tried to downgrade to every bios between 2.41 and 2.30 .But every time i get the same result ,,secure flash authentication failed''. I succeed once when reinstall BIOS from 2.41 to 2.41 but nothing changed.
I have tried the executable option to downgrade as well as the bootable CD and many others but all the time the same problem. Now i have tried every recommendation I can find online, before flashing i made sure that "Secure Rollback Prevention" in the BIOS is disabled, also secure chip is off.
Now i reached the point when i have no idea what to do :(
My setup is
Lenovo w540
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ CPU @ 2.70GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
32 GB Ram
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Nvidia quadro K2100
SSD sandisk 240 gb

I would like to apology for my unprofessional knowledge and English but i hope that you understand .

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Thinkpad w540 gpu and BIOS issues

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:35 am

Here is some advanced knowledge about your BIOS: https://notthebe.ee/Removing-the-Wi-Fi- ... 0-etc.html
It includes reference/link to: thinkpad-uefi-sign
Tools to check and cryptographically sign UEFI firmware images found in ThinkPads. This will resolve the issue where your ThinkPad lets out two groups of five beeps before continuing to boot (the error indicating an invalid signature).
plus a lot of other stuff.

I have not yet tried this myself, so no further knowledge here...
NOT a great day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff).
Ireland is on FULL lockdown till December 2020!
Covid-19: Mask it or Casket!
Check out The Boardroom for Mods and Other Services.

Screamer

#3 Post by Screamer » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:50 am

UPDATING THE UEFI BIOS

Notes:
- If the UEFI BIOS has been updated to version 2.41 or higher, it is no longer
able to roll back to the version before 2.41 for security improvement.
I do not think that you can downgrade, according to the BIOS changelog's statement.

Disappeared? That sounds odd, could you install HWiNFO 6.28? This program has the ability to force disabled or 'sleeping' GPUs to wake up. Assuming that this is not a hardware problem, you might be able to get the Quadro K2100M working again with this utility.

Once you have installed HWiNFO, run it and you should get a small window prompt. Do not click on 'Run', click on 'Settings'. Then, click on the checkbox that is next to 'Wake disabled GPUs (Extended)'. After that, click on 'OK' and then click on 'Run'. If all goes well, you should be seeing your Quadro K2100M on the right side of the system summary window. If you are not seeing it, click on the 'GPU #0' drop down menu. There should be another GPU that is named 'GPU #1', so click on that and you should see your Quadro K2100M in the summary.

Znowu

#4 Post by Znowu » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:37 am

I do not think that you can downgrade, according to the BIOS changelog's statement.
That's bad so now probably my only hope it to use the programmer to install new BIOS.
Once you have installed HWiNFO, run it and you should get a small window prompt. Do not click on 'Run', click on 'Settings'. Then, click on the checkbox that is next to 'Wake disabled GPUs (Extended)'. After that, click on 'OK' and then click on 'Run'. If all goes well, you should be seeing your Quadro K2100M on the right side of the system summary window. If you are not seeing it, click on the 'GPU #0' drop down menu. There should be another GPU that is named 'GPU #1', so click on that and you should see your Quadro K2100M in the summary.

I tried to install HWiNFO but my result are not that optimistic. Here are the results https://zapodaj.net/3a683500f7cc6.png.html
Maybe my gpu just died last week ? I don't know how to check it to be sure.
I'm worried that even programmer won't help me.

Screamer

#5 Post by Screamer » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:14 am

Ah, boy. That does not look good at all.

Okay, try running Optimus State Viewer x64. There should be two executables in that self-extracting archive, which are NvOptimusTestViewer64.exe and NvGPUStateViewer64.exe. Run both of them, and check if the NVIDIA GPU state is 'ON'. If it is still not active, you might want to try using a different OS.

Or, you could try resetting the BIOS' settings to its factory defaults. Have you done that?

Znowu

#6 Post by Znowu » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:55 am

Screamer wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:14 am
Ah, boy. That does not look good at all.

Okay, try running Optimus State Viewer x64. There should be two executables in that self-extracting archive, which are NvOptimusTestViewer64.exe and NvGPUStateViewer64.exe. Run both of them, and check if the NVIDIA GPU state is 'ON'. If it is still not active, you might want to try using a different OS.

Or, you could try resetting the BIOS' settings to its factory defaults. Have you done that?
Unfortunately it show's that the gpu is still off.
Witch OS do you suggest ? Win 7 ?
Yep resetting BIOS was one of my first moves after I realized that I can't swich gpu in BIOS in the new version. But I don't remove CMOs battery yet.

Screamer

#7 Post by Screamer » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:15 am

If you are not used to Linux, yes.

I'll send a personal message containing the .iso (for Windows 7) if you do not have it.

Znowu

#8 Post by Znowu » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:00 pm

Screamer wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:14 am

Okay so i have done everything once more on Win 7 professional, but everything is like before :/ Nothing change

Screamer

#9 Post by Screamer » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:29 am

Alright, I am completely out of ideas. I think your Quadro K2100M is dead at this point, since we have basically tried everything to wake it up and detect it.

I do not know if removing the CMOS battery would do anything, as resetting the BIOS' settings did nothing to solve this. I guess that it would not hurt to try it.

Sorry about your loss; a motherboard replacement would be your only choice in this matter.