Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

W530: Replace fan in existing fan chassis?

W530/W540/W541/W550 Series
28CarsLater
Freshman Member

W530: Replace fan in existing fan chassis?

#1 Post by 28CarsLater » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:15 pm

I have a W530 in which I need to replace the fan, I just wanted to clarify may I buy just the fan to mount it in the fan chassis and if so is there a preferred or more powerful fan model? Thank you!
Primary: Split between a T430S and a Precision M4700.
Laying around: X300(s), R500, R60
In various states: X301(s), W701, misc T/R500s

atagunov

Re: W530: Replace fan in existing fan chassis?

#2 Post by atagunov » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:18 am

28CarsLater wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:15 pm
I have a W530 in which I need to replace the fan, I just wanted to clarify may I buy just the fan to mount it in the fan chassis and if so is there a preferred or more powerful fan model? Thank you!
Hi, W530 being the most powerful of the family as far as I can guess all have 3 heat pipe fans.
I happened to be able to find this online https://download.lenovo.com/parts/Think ... 131007.pdf
This lists only the following two FRU-s

04W3626 Delta
04W3627 AVC

Both look nice and substantial in images.

You could try to find some opinions online re which one people like better Delta or AVC, I have no idea.

What I would care about when picking a new fan for W530 would be

- that the location of mounting holes is correct
- the number of pins on the plug is correct (my T530 mobo has a socket for a 6-wire plug, haven't checked W530 yet, generally there are fans with 4 and 5 pin plugs too); interestingly the number of wires can still be 4 but you will have them attached to a 6 pin plug; or you can have 5 wires.. in my mind what is important is that the plug has the right number of pins; so long that is matched to motherboard you should be okay
- the heatpipes look substantial enough; somehow I quite like the way the heatpipes look on these W530 fans - with one of the pipes going all the way round separate from other two; if one searches online hard enough he can find a fan advertised for W530 but having all 3 pipes going together; somehow I trust them less - but I have no real basis for that opinion

If you stick to the above two FRU-s you will probably only find fans matching all 3 criteria. It is only if you broaden your search to fans made for similar but different models like W520 that you may find something that fails on one of these points I think.
X220, 2 *T520

atagunov

#3 Post by atagunov » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:26 am

...or was it about replacing just the small part of cooling assembly? The fan itself?
make sure you get one with correct number of pins on the plug then!

you probably wanted to know more about which ones are compatible and which one is quieter/more powerful...
..well then I didn't need to jump into your topic, since I have no clue
X220, 2 *T520

28CarsLater
Freshman Member

#4 Post by 28CarsLater » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:23 pm

Thank for for the reply. Yes I was most curious about the fan itself, being able to install a new one in the existing assembly as opposed to buying a whole assembly (which seems to be possible). Given the fans you named, I can research to see if one is better than the other. I just wondered if there was an aftermarket fan the community was aware of that offered some kind of advantage. I've read on these boards the W510 and W520 ostensibly went out the door with cooling issues due to poor testing by Lenovo. I didn't know if this was ever properly rectified and if the community found a solution.
Primary: Split between a T430S and a Precision M4700.
Laying around: X300(s), R500, R60
In various states: X301(s), W701, misc T/R500s