Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

W530: BIOS Not Recognizing External SSD

W530/W540/W541/W550 Series
Imperatrix

W530: BIOS Not Recognizing External SSD

#1 Post by Imperatrix » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:34 am

Hey guys! I hope everyone's doing well! The title says it all. My BIOS can't read my external SSD, but Windows and my other OSes can read it just fine. I'm trying to boot Linux Mint off of the external, but the BIOS doesn't seem to recognize it. I tried to use different USB ports but no dice. I don't know if it matters that it's a PSSD or not.

I'm currently running v2.53 on the BIOS if that helps. I'm also not sure if it's the drive itself isn't bootable or its a hardware limitation on the W530. Anything helps!

chakaponden

Re: W530: BIOS Not Recognizing External SSD

#2 Post by chakaponden » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:33 pm

Imperatrix wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:34 am
Hey guys! I hope everyone's doing well! The title says it all. My BIOS can't read my external SSD, but Windows and my other OSes can read it just fine. I'm trying to boot Linux Mint off of the external, but the BIOS doesn't seem to recognize it. I tried to use different USB ports but no dice. I don't know if it matters that it's a PSSD or not.

I'm currently running v2.53 on the BIOS if that helps. I'm also not sure if it's the drive itself isn't bootable or its a hardware limitation on the W530. Anything helps!
Set Boot mode to Legacy in BIOS

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: W530: BIOS Not Recognizing External SSD

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:48 am

It should work if you set all USB options in BIOS to Enabled and connect it to the yellow Always On USB-port on the back.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)