Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

L460 - getting the right replacement keyboard

L430/L530 and later Series
StrontiumFunk

L460 - getting the right replacement keyboard

#1 Post by StrontiumFunk » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:09 am

Hello!
First post here. I did read the rules but please let me know if this post doesn't conform in any way.
On to the actual question:
After my first 5 years with my first Thinkpad, namely an L460, I am having a problem.

I need to buy a replacement keyboard, my current one has become unusable. I want to replace it myself, done this kind of stuff many times before. I have removed it now so I can check all the IDs and so on. Trust me, this thing doesn't work anymore(Feel free to read the whole story at the end of this post). But I have never ordered replacement parts from Lenovo before, and want to be extra-careful not to buy the wrong one.
I am on the Lenovo webpage right now. I see two options for a replacement keyboard of my desired language. One of them seems to be the right one(It's called CHY for some reason):
Parts No., FRU No., and Model No. are identical
But ID No. isn't, neither is what I think is the serial number at the bottom(the point of which is to not be identical, anyway..)
The webpage has pictures of the replacement parts and the one in the picture looks just like my own, right down to the sticker placement (The LTN one doesn't, at least not exactly).
Maybe I'm overthinking this but this does look like the right one for me, right?
I just want to be sure is all.

I can also see here that I actually can't order from the Lenovo webpage because of FRU only, but on Flex I can see I can order for about 50€, but only LTN is in stock. Now from the Lenovo page it looks like I specifically need a CHY one, but are these actually compatible? What is the difference between CHY and LTN?

Last question: What are the keyboard rubbers under(technically above) the battery actually for?

I love this machine like you wouldn't believe, it has never failed me once, until now but that's on me. This is the first laptop I have ever had that has never let me down.

Thanks a lot for your help! :)

And here's the bonus info on what happened:
- Was watching a funny video while brushing my teeth which made me splatter toothpaste spit all over my keyboard (:/ I know...) I am usually very careful, but this time it just happened
- Turned it off and proceeded to clean the keyboard superficially with a towel. Maybe I was pressing a little too hard but I don't think so. Again, usually very careful.
- turned it upside down in the hopes it could dry
- When I turned it on a again a few hours later, the keyboard went crazy and started typing all the time, while other keys remained unresponsive. Guess they've all gone sticky.
- Restarted and went into BIOS, all tests passed successfully, no issues, but couldn't navigate properly, DOWN key was the only Arrow Key that worked.
- Turned it off, removed every key, cleaned every single one, put them back on. Broke 2 or 3 scissor switches in the process..
- Fired the machine up again, keyboard still typed by itself but nowhere near as wild as before. Other keys unresponsive.

Computer is running smooth as always, and works flawlessly with on-screen keyboard. Couldn't get around to testing a USB-keyboard yet but I see no reason that shouldn't work.
getting there

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: L460 - getting the right replacement keyboard

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:50 am

CHY = Chicony
LTN = LiteOn
They are keyboard manufacturers.
The general preference seems to be for LiteOn (better quality).
Both will work and are fully compatible.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)