Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X1 Yoga Gen 6 How to reduce the active touchpad area

Discuss the ThinkPad-branded Yoga
dfgalletta

X1 Yoga Gen 6 How to reduce the active touchpad area

#1 Post by dfgalletta » Tue May 04, 2021 12:43 am

Just got this fine machine, but I cannot seem to find out how to reduce the active touchpad area, to avoid errant touches of the touchpad. I have it on low sensitivity, but sometimes when I'm using the trackpoint, my thumb makes slight contact and it makes the mouse pointer "fight" with me. All I see are options for gestures that I don't use.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: X1 Yoga Gen 6 How to reduce the active touchpad area

#2 Post by dr_st » Tue May 04, 2021 1:27 am

Is it a Synaptics touchpad? If so, is the touchpad software installed? I recall it had a pretty rich control panel. Though they may have deprecated it in latest Win10 releases.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

dfgalletta

#3 Post by dfgalletta » Tue May 04, 2021 7:30 pm

Best I can tell, it's an ELAN device. In the LENOVO app, where I ask for a list of drivers, it says "ELAN TrackPoint Driver for Windows 10 (Version 1903 or Later) - ThinkPad X1 Carbon 9th Gen, X1 Yoga 6th Gen" even though it's not a trackpoint that I'm trying to control...it's the touchpad.

dfgalletta

#4 Post by dfgalletta » Wed May 12, 2021 11:34 am

I didn't see any good hints about this as of yet. On my new Gen 6 Thinkpad Yoga X1, there are many settings for the touchpad (under TOUCHPAD after hitting the windows key). I'm not interested in those settings--it seems that they have made many changes. Three-finger gestures, four-finger gestures, etc. But the most important controls for me earlier were those that allowed me to limit the size of the active touchpad area. I don't want to turn it off, but when I go to the trackpoint with my index finger, the edge of my thumb causes the mouse movement to stagger and sometimes shoot off in a strange direction.

On Device Manager, I didn't see a Synaptics Touch Pad in the Mouse settings, but I do see it under "Human Interface Devices." So where can I get access to the controls for limiting the touchpad area? Or maybe there are no longer those controls. I hope they haven't deprecated the feature in favor of all those gestures.