Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Yoga may be the worst thinkpad i ever own

Discuss the ThinkPad-branded Yoga
rsutoratosu
Sophomore Member

Yoga may be the worst thinkpad i ever own

#1 Post by rsutoratosu » Mon May 12, 2014 8:49 am

Im on my 6th one.

Since last year, hdd cannot detect error on boot up on 2 machines, wifi issues.

Just received my 6th one Friday. Took it home boot it up, enter wifi password. Install updates reboot, wifi gone ? WTF ?

Check device manage - This device cannot start (code 10)

Uninstall driver, download new one and install via usb, sees wifi, add wifi, reboot, dead again.

Ok, lets do restore partition, did the full windows 8 restore, erase and reconfigure partition - dead.

Just call Lenovo, 3 day old laptop and they're taking it back to swap the wifi.

Its a [censored] to open these, that's why I don't do it anymore

syrahnose
Freshman Member

Re: Yoga may be the worst thinkpad i ever own

#2 Post by syrahnose » Sun May 18, 2014 9:34 pm

I've been ready, indeed eager, to buy a TPY several times now but issues keep cropping up. So I've held off. The most troublesome seems to be an endemic ghosting problem with screen that shows up weeks/months after purchase. Lenovo forum is alive with this complaint that lenovo have gone very quiet on.

There are many returns being reported based on this issue alone. It begs the question if these returned units are given a quick once over and then recycled to other returned orders?

It explains why refurbished x230ts are selling at high prices off lenovo outlet. And down the road, will there be many TPY showing up there at knock down prices?

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by Cigarguy » Mon May 19, 2014 2:13 am

Hmmm...interesting was thinking of picking up one of these but I think I will look elsewhere.

600X

#4 Post by 600X » Mon May 19, 2014 2:31 am

Ghosting has been an issue with the cheap LG IPS Displays ever since the X220. The X230t will have the same problem.
Daily: Custom Mini-ITX (Ryzen 5, A2000 12GB, 3:2)
ThinkPads: 600X (i3), A31p (FlexView), T43, T60 (FlexView), T61p (4:3), R61 (QXGA), X301 (AFFS), W500, X1

mikeh420
Freshman Member

#5 Post by mikeh420 » Sat May 16, 2015 10:47 am

As one that is supporting several hundred of these beasties at a local school district...

This is not your grandfather's Thinkpad. Lots of them are dead on arrival, hard drives die after a few hours, batteries last a few minutes after a full charge, trackpad pops off and can't be replaced. And they cost the district $1700 each.
ThinkPad T42 2373
Pentium M 1.7GHz
2 GB Kingston RAM
40 GB HDD
Windows 7 Enterprise
2878 Docking Station

i2000s
Freshman Member

#6 Post by i2000s » Sun May 31, 2015 12:25 pm

rsutoratosu wrote:Im on my 6th one.

Since last year, hdd cannot detect error on boot up on 2 machines, wifi issues.

Just received my 6th one Friday. Took it home boot it up, enter wifi password. Install updates reboot, wifi gone ? WTF ?

Check device manage - This device cannot start (code 10)

Uninstall driver, download new one and install via usb, sees wifi, add wifi, reboot, dead again.

Ok, lets do restore partition, did the full windows 8 restore, erase and reconfigure partition - dead.

Just call Lenovo, 3 day old laptop and they're taking it back to swap the wifi.

Its a *****Expletives removed by Moderator***** to open these, that's why I don't do it anymore
Can you post your model # and your work environment info? I wonder if this is just a special case due to some special reason or more like universal? My friend's TP Yoga works great so far.
X31 (since 2003), X61T (2007), X200T (2009), ThinkPad Tablet 2 (2013), P50 (2016).
Considering more Thinkpads. Retiring my X200T. PM me if anyone wants to home it.

Saucey

#7 Post by Saucey » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:01 am

I got a ThinkPad Yoga 11e on the cheaps and for some reason setting it to tablet mode will render the keyboard useless.
It was strange because it went as far as the BIOS, I had to connect an external keyboard to boot onto it.
I installed Windows 8.1 Pro on here, it still had the problem, it was until I installed the Intel I2C driver when it worked, but it was intermittent at times because it would randomly be disabled (sometimes it prompts for HDD password before booting)

Using System Update got me almost all the drivers, even flashed the bios successfully without needing to make a USB/DVD, the touchscreen driver was the one I had to install manually, but it is working now.

No trackpoint is a real bother. :cry:
Coffee, ThinkPads & Nikon Fan.

Current: PixelBook & Precision 7730
Old Favorites: A31p, T43p, T430s

rambo47
Freshman Member

#8 Post by rambo47 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:17 pm

i recently picked up a Yoga 3 Pro and I'm very impressed with it. I'm dual-booting Windows 10 and Linux Mint 17.2. My only gripe with the Y3P is the small Shift key. Luckily for me, my pinkie naturally falls on it, but I do occasionally hit the Up Arrow next to it and scroll the page on which I'm typing. Otherwise I love the keyboard. And this is powerful for an ultrabook. 8GB of RAM, a 256GB SSD hard drive, and a decent mid-range processor.

I have a W500 that's been a workhorse for me and now I've added the Y3P. No complaints with either model from me!
- - - - -
Yoga 3 Pro, 13.3" touchscreen, CoreM 5Y70 @ 1.2GHz, 8GB RAM, Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics, Windows 10 (64-bit)

tagumcity

#9 Post by tagumcity » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:17 am

I have the Thinkpad Yoga 260, added the Samsung 960 Pro Series 512 GB & Crucial 16 GB ram, and running Arch Linux with Xfce. The laptop is very nice and functioning well.
x60 (T7200), 3.2GB ram & X200s (L9400), 8GB ram, both are using Samsung 850 EVO 250GB drives with bios flashed to Libreboot & Arch Linux