Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad Yoga not suitable for travel: 2:nd broken screen in 2 months

Discuss the ThinkPad-branded Yoga
bwsb
Freshman Member

Thinkpad Yoga not suitable for travel: 2:nd broken screen in 2 months

#1 Post by bwsb » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:42 am

My new screen got a tiiny crack just 3 weeks after I got it, from a transitory and not heavy push toward the laptop's middle, but that was no problem as it was almost invisible.

Now, I had with me the laptop on 5 days' travel, as usual in the Neoprene case, and on the 4:th day, just like before my previous replacement, I got rainbowy rubbing spots on two places.

I think I realized the mechanical reason for why this happened now, and that is that unlike traditional thinkpads like the Thinkpad X1 Carbon and.. I think Thinkpad X61 Tablet, and other thinkpads, who have an embossing on the screen's top side that joins with the most anterior side of the palmrest when the screen is closed -

This thing is not on the Thinkpad, and that perhaps together with the 360-degree hinge, opens up for screen damage from rubbing, and also for more vulnerable to screen damage from pushing.

With this said I believe this was my last Thinkpad Yoga laptop, as it's simply not robust enough

(that I conclude because ultimately the keyboard is also more fragile than on a typical Thinkpad - Lenovo has done a good job, but, I can feel that it's easier to damage the keys, and that is also clarified from the fact that I'm on the 3:rd (4:th??) keyboard module in one year).

Dekks

Re: Thinkpad Yoga not suitable for travel: 2:nd broken screen in 2 months

#2 Post by Dekks » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:50 am

Your not the only one to recognise the fact, quite a few review sites have been less than gracious about tagging these transplanted consumer devices as Thinkpads. Notebookcheck.net for one quite clearly felt the feel/build quality and the user serviceability were in no way comparable to a proper chunky Thinpad.
Home - Win 10 MSi GF63 Gaming Laptop /Arch GNOME 3/X230 Tablet /X61 [Korean] - Debian 10/T60p - Ubuntu 20.10 Helix 2
Work - Win10/Thinkpad X1 Tablet Gen 2

rambo47
Freshman Member

#3 Post by rambo47 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:36 pm

I carry my Yoga around in the official Lenovo Yoga case and it offers excellent protection. I put the Yoga in the case and carry the whole thing in a messenger bag.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga ... Id=9376109

They had them on sale at BestBuy last month for $20. Couldn't pass it up for that price!
- - - - -
Yoga 3 Pro, 13.3" touchscreen, CoreM 5Y70 @ 1.2GHz, 8GB RAM, Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics, Windows 10 (64-bit)

bwsb
Freshman Member

#4 Post by bwsb » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:41 am

Your bag is like mine, there is the problem with it also.

I succeeded with keeping a display not broken for 3 months now, by putting a sheet of cardboard between the display and keyboard when shut, and generally being extremely careful not to push the bag ever.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:17 am

There is a reason why the Yoga ended up in a Post-Classic subdivision on our forum...
Most of us here agree that the Yoga is not a ThinkPad.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

600X

#6 Post by 600X » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:01 am

My TP Yoga survived 2 falls onto the tarmac from 1.5m. The first time, it landed on a corner and suffered a few scratches as well as a piece of the lid breaking off. I then replaced the lid. The second time it landed on the corner again which bent the access cover a little bit.

Overall, the TP Yoga is probably the most durable ThinkPad I have ever owned. I used my TP Yoga for about 6 months and brought it to college everyday without any problems. (apart from it falling out of my bag onto the street 2 times)
I have since switched to a T61 because it has a usable aspect ratio and better keyboard.
Daily: Custom Mini-ITX (Ryzen 5, A2000 12GB, 3:2)
ThinkPads: 600X (i3), A31p (FlexView), T43, T60 (FlexView), T61p (4:3), R61 (QXGA), X301 (AFFS), W500, X1