Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

1st gen yoga 14 mouse problem (hardware)

Discuss the ThinkPad-branded Yoga
jamerslong

1st gen yoga 14 mouse problem (hardware)

#1 Post by jamerslong » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:00 pm

this is definitely a hardware issue

occasionally, rebooting the computer will result in a nonfunctioning trackpad and nub.

pressing on the keyboard around the UIOP keys/trackpad area and rebooting will occasionally allow them to work however, sometimes the mous only register as a right click.

I have uninstalled all drivers and mouse shows as PS/2 compatible mouse in device manager

so... here is where I am in a dilemma. should I reseat the cable for the touchpad, or both touchpad and keyboard nub cables? would 1 failing cause the other to become inoperable. can I completely unplug one mouse and leave the other one plugged in then flipflop to troubleshoot the issue? how can I tell what is problem.

I just bought this off ebay. pristine shape. I'm assuming it was a refurb job where the person poorly reinstalled connector. he put a warranty sticker on it so I cant bust it open. I can return it, but I pay return shipping. I don't mind repairing it. it would give me something to do lol. but how hard is it to replace the trackpad if that is the issue? thanks!
Thinkpad Yoga 14 S1

shawross

Re: 1st gen yoga 14 mouse problem (hardware)

#2 Post by shawross » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:53 pm

I am not sure how easy it is to replace the mouse pad and whether that would solve the problem. I would be tempted t return it but it depends on what you paid for it.
There is normally a reason items end up on Ebay. Some harmless and others not so..
Active --- Love the X series
X301 W 7/Mint | X201 540M L Mint | X220 2520 W7/Mint

Nostalgia
X61 T7500 / T41 T42 T43 / A31

Rogue daily driver - Samsung RV511 15.6 " Screen - W 7

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by axur-delmeria » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:03 am

The Hardware Maintenance Manuals for Thinkpad models are readily available through the HMM link at the top of every page of this very forum, or through Lenovo's website (though it's faster to use Google search).
The HMM contains the needed disassembly instructions, and from there you can see if it's easy enough (or too hard) for you to do.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

jamerslong

#4 Post by jamerslong » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:40 pm

I have been working on thinkpad's since I joined this forum. If it needs Mx I can fix it, I paid 440 for it and the rest of his inventory is damaged while this one is mint. It's 700$ from Lenovo new. If I need new parts I can do the work and am confident in my skills. I can refund and hunt another but as soon as I get it I will be opening it to do an SSD upgrade. My big hang up is that I have to pay return shipping and if its a ribbon cable it's cheaper than shipping the laptop back.
Thinkpad Yoga 14 S1

jamerslong

#5 Post by jamerslong » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:11 pm

well, it's not the trackpad. :(
Thinkpad Yoga 14 S1