Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Yoga 13 - I need a new System Board. Any advice?

Discuss the ThinkPad-branded Yoga
PeteS457
User with bad email address, PLEASE fix!

Yoga 13 - I need a new System Board. Any advice?

#1 Post by PeteS457 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:51 am

Well, I finally recycled my numerous Thinkpads that were several years old a couple years ago. It was a bit sentimental to send them to their final resting place since they had been great machines. I had a T42 as my main laptop for 10 years and performed about 20 surgeries on it to keep it going. A lot of my ability to keep them going was the information in this forum. I'm happy to see that it's still going.

So, to the present problem. As my first replacement, I went with the first generation Yoga 13. I liked it, but I could tell right away it certainly did not have the build quality of the rugged Thinkpads. Anyway, a couple months ago, I had the Yoga 13 on a bedside table while I slept, lid closed, in sleep mode. During the night, I inadvertedly swung my arm and knocked over a full glass of water that was on the same table. (An incredibly stupid mistake I would not normally make, but alas, we're human.) Anyway, I immediately jumped into action and removed the Yoga, thinking not much water had entered through the back vents. Plus, I was thinking if it was water, that once dry it may not be a problem. I was wrong. I've tried to restart the machine with no luck. I power on the machine, the fans immediately start whirring at full speed (loud), nothing shows up on screen, and the machine suddenly dies after about 40 seconds. I've tried removing the battery, removing the cmos and replacing it, using the novo button (same thing happens), holding the button for 20 seconds, etc, etc. No POST, no access to bios, nothing.

I've given up on resuscitating this machine as-is. I think the system board is fried. I have since bought a cheap Yoga 3 Pro on Black Friday for cheap and that's my main machine now. However, I would like to try to revive this machine if possible just to have another one around the house or for others to use. My system board has a 1.8GHz i5 processor, part number 90002038 stamped on the backside. I was hoping that the members here may be able to give me some insight as to where to buy a replacement system board, hopefully relatively inexpensively since this is more of a project than repairing my primary machine. I know there were people on here that helped me before in similar situations with my Thinkpads in the past.

Any advice/suggestions/recommendations? Thanks in advance.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Yoga 13 - I need a new System Board. Any advice?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:58 am

Join the crowd!
eBay is full of those boards (most of them junk - not unexpectedly): http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... d&_sacat=0
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

PeteS457
User with bad email address, PLEASE fix!

#3 Post by PeteS457 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:24 pm

Thanks for the incredibly quick reply. (Just what I remember about this board and why I came here.) Yeah, I've been monitoring the eBay 90002038 items for a few weeks now, but thought I'd come here and see if anyone has a better source. I actually found a used one on eBay a few weeks ago from a US seller from his personal machine that he said was working. We reached a deal and then he didn't deliver. (I didn't lose any money either, but still a waste of time.) If there is no one here who knows of a better source, I was hoping that someone would know something specific about the ones on eBay so I can focus on the most reputable source. I can also understand if the best I can do is an eBay crap shoot.

Thanks.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:35 pm

New one here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252032637606
He seems to have sold quite a few already.
Don't know seller.