Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Is the Yoga a good laptop for Teens?

Discuss the ThinkPad-branded Yoga
CompyTalk

Is the Yoga a good laptop for Teens?

#1 Post by CompyTalk » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:44 am

Hey everyone, I am loving all of the support on these forums. I have been a thinkpad fan since I had to take a dozen of them apart working in a small computer shop and I saw how well they were built compared to everything else coming in. Now I am hoping to help with the next era of Thinkpad fans.

My niece has just started high school and has found out that a lot of her classes would prefer if she had a laptop to use. This seems weird to me that schools want you to bring a laptop (they took mine away once, but that was years ago) but that's the world we live in. I know that my brother does not have the cash to buy her a laptop right now so I thought I would chip in and get her something small that can get the job done while still being reliable. I was thinking that the Yoga would fit the bill, as it is not a crazy powerful laptop but it is also something that should last her the next year or two. Would any one disagree about this being a good laptop for teenagers and if so, why? Just looking for some opinion about it before I go out and buy one for her. Also, if anyone an recommend another laptop for a teenager that would work better that would be appreciated :) Thanks in advance.

I did not get my niece a Yoga as I was originally thinking, but instead got here an X220 that we say online and thought it was a good price. I gave it to her yesterday and she is so happy with it, I hope that it helps her do better in class (not the she isn't already doing great!). Thanks for the advice :)
Last edited by CompyTalk on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Is the Yoga a good laptop for Teens?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:53 am

The Yogas are too wimpy and breakable for that.
On eBay alone there are currently over 1,400 Yogas for sale, NOT a sign of reliability I would say.
I would suggest an X230 with IPS screen.
It's a lot more robust.

Or get her an X250 if budget allows, longer battery life.

Either way, tell her that laptops are NOT for playing games or watching movies (but you might as well talk to the wall). :lol:
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:27 am

You know the 600X has a great keyboard and can run Word 97 easily. What else do you need for school. Good luck finding a battery for it :D .

Anyway, on a serious note, find a X220 or X230. Avoid the X230s and X240 at all cost. A nice X220 will suit well.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

CompyTalk

#4 Post by CompyTalk » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:22 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:53 am
The Yogas are too wimpy and breakable for that.
On eBay alone there are currently over 1,400 Yogas for sale, NOT a sign of reliability I would say.
I would suggest an X230 with IPS screen.
It's a lot more robust.

Or get her an X250 if budget allows, longer battery life.

Either way, tell her that laptops are NOT for playing games or watching movies (but you might as well talk to the wall). :lol:
That is a pretty good reliability test :)

Gonna take a look at the X200 series online, see what kind of prices I can find and then make a decision. Thanks you two!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:59 am

Check your Private messages at the top of this page.