Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X1 Yoga 2017 display driver questions

Discuss the ThinkPad-branded Yoga
bwsb
Freshman Member

#1 Post by bwsb » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:04 am

Old title:
X1 Yoga 2017/2:nd ed with OLED: Do I need the "ThinkPad Monitor File" driver?? What's different btw the 2 drvr pkgs?

ADMIN warning:
Please keep your titles short and to the point!
And we do NOT allow cross-posting.

Changed into:

===================================

Hi!

For the Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2017/2:nd edition with OLED, at their drivers download page for this model which is https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/prod ... /downloads , Lenovo distributes *TWO* display drivers that *could* be understood to be needed for the OLED - these are both under the section "Display and Video Graphics":

a) More obvious: Intel OLED Panel Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad X1 Yoga (Type: 20JD, 20JE, 20JF, 20JG), 1.0.0.5, 2017/10/02 (324KB, n1ndp03w.exe)

b) Less obious: ThinkPad Monitor File for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad, 6.3.0.0, 2017/04/03 (1.2MB, n1noi04w.exe)

I ask because within the INF file in the ThinkPad Monitor File package, the resolution of the OLED display is mentioned.

I was thinking maybe the a) package contains some fundamental enabling drivers but the b) package contains color profile, or the like.

At the same time it would not be relevant to clutter the system with unnecessary, unused drivers.

Can anyone please highlight me about the difference between these two packages?

Thanks!!

bwsb
Freshman Member

Re: X1 Yoga 2017 display driver questions

#2 Post by bwsb » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:01 am

I realized that the OLED Panel driver corresponds to the Windows device by the name "Intel(R) OLED Panel Driver" which is found in Windows' Device Manager in the "System devices" section.

This should mean that the ThinkPad Monitor File is indeed needed and is for the actual monitor. I half-checked that this is how it is, but need to check more carefully after next reinstall.

However - I can find no information out there about what the "Intel(R) OLED Panel Driver" device actually does.

What does it do?

bwsb
Freshman Member

Re: X1 Yoga 2017 display driver questions

#3 Post by bwsb » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:22 am

Posted the question here also https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X ... -p/3953708 as that forum may be closer to Lenovo staff.