Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Help convince me...TPY 370 vs Yoga 720

Discuss the ThinkPad-branded Yoga
swallman

Help convince me...TPY 370 vs Yoga 720

#1 Post by swallman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:54 pm

I'm in the process of shopping for a 2-in-1 convertible to replace the X230 I just sold. Loved that laptop but really want something a bit lighter and ability to use as a tablet (when taking the bus, meetings etc.)

I think I've narrowed it down to either the Thinkpad Yoga 370 (used/refurb'd), or a Yoga 720. My main concern with the 370 is the size of it...I haven't seen one in person but I'm looking at the specs and comparing it to the HP Elitebook X360 1030 G2 I have at work and it just seems so large to use in tablet mode. Granted, it's similar in size to the X230 I had (but thinner/lighter), but for some reason my X230 seemed so much smaller.

I've looked at the 720 (Best Buy carries them locally), but I have a feeling I would really, really miss the Thinkpad keyboard and trackpoint...

Ugh, this is driving me crazy trying to make a decision LOL!

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Help convince me...TPY 370 vs Yoga 720

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:15 pm

Ok fine. Want me to REALLY convince you.? Yea you do.

LOOK AT THOSE BEZELS ON THE Y260. Take one good look at them. Look at how big and scary they are! Look at all the screen area you are losing! Scared and convinced on the Y370? Well you should be :twisted: !

In all seriousness, a 13.3" screen is a huge upgrade over the 12.5". It will be all worth it.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

Pokrzept
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by Pokrzept » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:40 pm

If you can afford to buy ThinkPad, you should not hesitate. I have had both models in my hands and I tell you, difference in keyboard department is huge. Somehow I cannot image myself working on Y720 keyboard - both key shape, travel and feedback are horrible. If you do care about typing comfort you should really check it out in person.
P70 / W530 / W700 and 30 more :roll:

swallman

#4 Post by swallman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Not that anyone on this forum cares lol, but I ended up purchasing a non-Thinkpad Lenovo Yoga 710 11.6" device. I know I'll probably miss the keyboard and trackpoint but this is really just a casual device for me - mainly will be used at home when relaxing on the sofa or when traveling/commuting to work.

I just couldn't find a small, lightweight Thinkpad that would fit the bill. I'd love to see them make something in the 11" size but I doubt that will happen seeing as that's not really a "business class" size device.

I know the 720 isn't a lot larger but I got a great deal on the 710.

Galeb_G2

#5 Post by Galeb_G2 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:31 am

I'd go for the 720, even if it's just for the screen size, it'd be far more convenient to use. Even a small difference in size can make a HUGE one in user's comfort!