Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Yoga S1 20CD

Discuss the ThinkPad-branded Yoga
rsutoratosu
Sophomore Member

Yoga S1 20CD

#1 Post by rsutoratosu » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:22 am

Having issue with this MINI HDMI cable to DVI or to DISPLAY PORT

It does not output to certain type of monitor, i'm currently using an usb to dvi adapter but i think its chewing up cpu power.. I'm also using a cable off amazon.. anyone have better luck?

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Yoga S1 20CD

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:05 pm

Ok, for Mini HDMI to DVI, depending on what you are doing there is something called HDCP which is an encrypted video signal. This is not supported through DVI and giving a DVI monitor an HDCP encrypted signal will make it do nothing. Now this shouldn't happen in theory but you never know.

Now for Mini HDMI to Displayport. No no no. This doesn't work at all. DP is like type O blood, can be turned into any other signal but cannot be turn into itself. I have an HDMI to Displayport setup running using a StarTech HDMI to Displayport ACTIVE converter. It is a box and it was like 100$. No cable can do HDMI to displayport.

Now there is also a chance that the cable you are using don't work either. Seen that too.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: Yoga S1 20CD

#3 Post by dr_st » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:45 am

Thinkpad4by3 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:05 pm
Ok, for Mini HDMI to DVI, depending on what you are doing there is something called HDCP which is an encrypted video signal. This is not supported through DVI and giving a DVI monitor an HDCP encrypted signal will make it do nothing. Now this shouldn't happen in theory but you never know.
Most devices do support HDCP through DVI, but not all.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad