Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Yoga 260 - 2242 sdd not being recognized by disk manager

Discuss the ThinkPad-branded Yoga
raftguide

Yoga 260 - 2242 sdd not being recognized by disk manager

#1 Post by raftguide » Sun May 31, 2020 11:47 am

Hi everyone,

I've got a Yoga 260 that I've put a Transcend 2242 ssd into the open m.2 slot next to the wireless card. The installation went fine, and the card seated properly with no problem. But the computer doesn't seem interested in finding the drive. I put the same 2242 drive into the open m.2 slot on my main workhorse, a W541, and the it was recognized without an issue.

At this point, we're beyond my knowledge base. Searching for information on this doesn't provide much specific help. I see talk about modding other, more modern, Yoga models for similar drives to be accepted. If anyone could explain to me what's up I'd be very grateful. Is the machine not equipped to recognize drives placed there? Is there something I need to adjust in the BIOS? Is there a resource on compatibility I need to check out? I'm lost.

EDIT: Here's a photo of the PCIe slot I'm talking about. From what I've gathered, every Yoga 260 ships with an empty one. There's not any cords leading to it for a wireless card that I can tell. If my SATA 2242 isn't going to work in there, I can't understand what it's for.

onionskin

Re: Yoga 260 - 2242 sdd not being recognized by disk manager

#2 Post by onionskin » Tue May 18, 2021 9:23 am

I had no luck with a Transcend SATA m.2, either, in an X1 Yoga, 1st gen, which I think is the same year as yours. 6th gen i5/i7. It does not show up in the BIOS.

Slot on mine is for WWAN, even though the antennas were not preinstalled.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Yoga 260 - 2242 sdd not being recognized by disk manager

#3 Post by axur-delmeria » Tue May 18, 2021 7:11 pm

That particular generation was weird. Some, like the T460 lacked support for any SSD (SATA or NVMe) on the WWAN port, while the T460s had NVMe support on the WWAN slot. Your Yoga 260 might be from the first category. :(

The FRU listing for the Yoga 260 does not mention any M.2 2242 SSDs: https://download.lenovo.com/parts/Think ... 160120.pdf
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry: